The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Indian Corps on the Western Front

paulgranger

Had an advisory e-mail from Tom Donovan Publications about their new book, subtitled 'A Handbook and Battlefield Guide'. The screen shots of various pages make it look a very handsome publication, for those with an interest in the Indian Corps.

I got that one too and it does look like a good one. I've emailed him with a question on coverage of the Meerut Division - which I hope will be positive.

I saw the book on sale in Ypres last weekend, in the shop in the Cloth Hall. Unfortunately it was in shrink-wrapped plastic so I was unable to browse.

I have, however, ordered a copy from Mr Donovan so will have it in my hands next week. I can't imagine it will be anything less than excellent.

I remember now that you mentioned you'd seen it in the Museum shop. My memory of last weekend is somewhat vague in places ^_^

"Blurred", possibly might be a better word.

Tom showed me a copy a couple of weeks ago & it really is a fine publication. Not really my field but it's superbly illustrated with lots of excellent maps. I've ordered the hardback version which I'm told is only being produced in small numbers, plenty of the softback though.

I went for the h/b, too. Should I have asked for it to be signed?

I went for the h/b, too. Should I have asked for it to be signed?

Tom thought that might devalue it!

Tom thought that might devalue it!

Even rarer if unsigned.

My copy was waiting for me at work this morning (I had a day off yesterday).

It really looks superb: I only had a short period on the train to look through it, but the quality is (as one would expect from Tom Donovan) superb. The book is printed on quality glossy art paper (as mentioned, I went hard back) and the photographs and maps are excellently reproduced.

If I had a quibble, it is that as a tour guide it is too large easily to slip into a pocket or rucksack; that said it will easily fit on the parcel shelf of the car; overall I would say the book benefits from being a larger format, tough, as it makes the pictures and maps easier to see and the information/type face and general 'llok' of the book are far better.

It is not too fanciful to suggest that one buys the h/b as a reference book to keep, and the p/b for the tours. The h/b costs about £38 (including p&p). Simply as a battlefield/cemetery guide the p/b is worth having. As a reference work on the Indian Corps, go for the h/b.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange. Little if anything on the Indian army since Corrigan sahib - then two come along together.

-

I presume by the other one you mean George Morton-Jack's 'The Indian Army on the Western Front', published by Cambridge University Press earlier this year. I failed to find any opinion of this book on the GWF but there is quite a favourable review of it in this month's 'History Today'.

Cheers Martin B

The current 260+ page Commemorative Edition of Durbar, the Journal of the Indian Military Historical Society, devotes nearly all those pages to the Indian Corps on the Western Front in 1914. This includes an article by Tom.

Why not join today as a Christmas Present to yourself ( http://imhs.org.uk/join.html ) and get a copy?

Harry

The current 260+ page Commemorative Edition of Durbar, the Journal of the Indian Military Historical Society, devotes nearly all those pages to the Indian Corps on the Western Front in 1914. This includes an article by Tom.

Why not join today as a Christmas Present to yourself ( http://imhs.org.uk/join.html ) and get a copy?

Harry

Thanks Harry, I am doing just that! Didn't know about this outfit.

Hazel

• 1 year later...

For anyone within easy reach of Brighton...there are copies of the paperback of this book in the Brighton Pavilion bookshop reduced from £20 to £10.  I couldn't resist it when I was there yesterday and am pleased to see it well reviewed here by people with more knowledge of the Indian Army than I have. It doesn't appear to be available on Amazon at all but is available direct from the publisher.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne