The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rifle prop

kissack

The attached photo shows troops being addressed prior to moving abroad (?). What interested me was the group in the foreground who appear to be using their rifle to prop up their packs or themselves. Thought I'd share the photo with you

--

Allan

More detailed picture is furhter down the thread now I have figured how to attach them

post-1-1099821381.jpg

Edited by kissack

Great photo, Allan. These Lincolnshires are obviously taking the meaning of 'shooting stick' literally. Here's hoping none of them still had one up the spout!

Gary

Good photo. Any idea where it was taken??

Roop

Not sure where it was taken. Appeared in our Local lincolnshire gazette (looking at yesteryears) this week.

The accompanying text say '.. the parade on the barraks square took place a few days before the regiment boarded SS Norman of the Union Castle Line.... embarked Southampton on 13 AUg 1914.... destination Le Havre'

So it could be in Southampton? or maybe it is in Lincoln (although I dont recognise it)

The accompanying text say '.. the parade on the barraks square took place a few days before the regiment boarded SS Norman of the Union Castle Line.... embarked Southampton on 13 AUg 1914.... destination Le Havre'

I would guess that the location is Victoria Barracks, Portsmouth. The Lincolns were there immediately before entraining for Southampton.

Tom

Nice photo, Allan! :D Funny things occur in these ceremonies... Somehow reminded of that famous "present-time" photo of Guards(?) in their red uniforms and bearskins, with one of them fainted. Well you`ll know what phto I´m trying to describe.