The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Did he or didn't he?

Guest phyllis42

Guest phyllis42

My grandfather was in the Cheshire Regiment.

Lance Corporal G.B. Robinson

No 82584 P.C.2

3 Garrison Battery

Cheshire Regiment

Retired as a Regimental Quarter-Master Sergeant.

How can I find out if he did active service or not?

Thanks

Shalom

Phyllis42

I'm no expert on this but maybe a good place to start is at the National Archive at Kew. Try looking for the Mdeal Index Card (MIC) for your man, this will tell you if he was entitled to any medals.

Good Luck :)

Shalom, Phyllis, and welcome.

The Garrison Battalions were formed of men not fit for active service, although they may have been fit earlier in the war. I've had a look on the National Archives website for the Medal Index Card and I can't find one.

This suggests that your grandfather didnt see overseas service. The Cheshire's 3rd Garrison Battalion was formed in November 1915 and spent the rest of the war in the Isle of Man.

So, I would be reasonable confident in thinking that he did not see action - and, unlike many of contempories, had a very lucky break. Be glad.

John

Guest phyllis42

Shalom John,

Thanks so much for that information. With one email you have not only answered my query, but told me why my fathers family were in the Isle of Man, and why there are still family settled there.

I wondered why Clara was taken out of school, in Stalybridge,Cheshire and went to the IOM. Mystery solved.

Yes I am grateful that G.B. did not see active service. What sort of things would he have done then? Was the IOM seen to be 'at risk?'

I know from what I have read about others in my mothers family who served in WW1, and how the Great War affected them. Please God we shall never see another was like that, or any, for that matter.

Thanks [todah]

Shalom

Phyllis

3rd (Home Service) Garrison Battalion

Formed November 1915, remaining in UK throughout the war. Became 11th Bn, the Royal Defence Corps in August 1917.

above from the parent site.

I would imagine that your relative was involved in guarding the many internees held on the IOM. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the RDC may be able to help

Guest phyllis42

Thank you MANXMAN,

So I take it from your message that there was a camp for detainees on the IOM. Do you know where it was? Were the detainees political or POWs.

Thanks again

Shalom

phyllis

The main camp in WW1 was on a farm called Knockaloe, in the parish of Patrick near Peel, on the Island's west coast. It held 23,000 at it's peak. They were enemy civilians, mostly German and Austrian, but with some Turks; who'd been resident in the country at the outbreak of war. No POWs.

Put "Knockaloe" in search facility for more info.

Phyllis,

get one of your relatives to pick up a copy of "living with the wire" ISBN 0 90 1106 35 6, available from the Manx Museum. It a 70 page sofback book. Loads of pictures of both WW1 and WW2 camps on IOM. from memory it cost about £4.