The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gordon Highlanders from Cockburnspath

douglass

I am busy compiling a small booklet about the soldiers who gave their lives in the Great War from the Cockburnspath area. There are two that I cannot find on the CWGC site and was wondering if anyone had the Soldiers died in the Great War book for the Gordon Highlanders Regiment a Robert Pearson 191824? ,10 BN, date of death given in the local paper as 26/08/1917.

and John William Wightman Trooper with the Canadian contingent died 10/12/1916 possibily from illness at home in Stockbridge house Cockburnspath.

for both i would like to find parents details and where they are buried.

I have seen in the past A SOLDIERS DIED IN THE GREAT WAR CD rom which may have more , so if anyone has it please can you have a look?.

many thanks

Douglas Steel

Edited by Matt Dixon

Don't worry I did it for you! :P

Hi there

Just did a quick search and no Robert Pearson in the 10th Battalion.

The only Robert Pearson in the Gordon Highlanders was in the 2nd Battalion.

Born Inverness enlisted Perth killed in action on the 25th of September 1915 (Loos)

Not much help I'm afraid, don't know if this could be your man, doesn't sound like it.

Incidently, no Pearsons at all killed on the date you gave

Hambo

thanks for the replies, Robert Pearson is proving a headache, as is John W Wightman , John is on our Memorial Cross, but from newspapers he died from illness at home can this be why he isnt on the CWGC site?. hopefully one day i will find them, again many thanks

douglas

douglass, a soldier is only listed on cwgc if he died as a 'result of his service', ask terry denham for more information on the 'rules'

enoch

Ther are 2 Robert Pearson's in the Gordon Highlanders listed on the National Archives Medal card index:

Description Medal card of Pearson, Robert

Gordon Highlanders 291524 Private

Description Medal card of Pearson, Robert

Gordon Highlanders 1391 Private

The second was the one killed at Loos so maybe the first is the man you are looking for ?

Dominic

There was only one Robert Pearson 1391 who lost his life with the Gordons (2nd Batt.). He was born Inverness and enlisted in Perth.

Can I point out that the 10th. Gordons did not exist in 1917 having amalgamated with the 8th. to form the 8/10th. batt. on 11 May, 1916.

Regards

Jim Gordon