The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James McNee, 1A Reserve Bde, RFA

fazfearnley

My great great grandad gained a distinguished conduct medal in the first world war, where he was in "A"battery 121st brigade of the royal field artillery.I have a few of his service records and letters of orders sent to him by other sargeant majors and would like to piece together his military history. I would be greatful therefore if anybody could point me in the right direction.I have searched all three gazettes as he was born in Glasgow and then lived in Ireland and got married in England.He was enlisted in Glasgow In 1905 And became a battery sargeant major on 18th August 1916 and was discharged on 27th March 1920 having served 15 years and five days

Faz,

Your relative is listed in the Recipients of the Ditinguished Conduct Medal 1914 - 1920 as 36765, BSM, McNee J., 1 A Reserve Brigade, London Gazette 11/3/1920.

Andy

36765 BSM J McNee, 1A Reserve Bde, RFA from Sheffield was awarded the DCM in the London Gazette of 11 March 1920 with the following citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during the last advance, and particularly the operations, 16th October - 11th November 1918. When every officer of the battery except one and nearly all gunners had become casualties, he managed the supply of ammunition, often under heavy fire, in an extremely able manner, notably at Forest on the night of 22-23 October.

Regards. Dick Flory