The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Londinium

My grandfather's memoir, 'Escaping from the Kaiser' by H. W. Tustin, has finally been published (by Pen and Sword). It is widely available from many websites (and book stores), including Pen and Sword's own website and Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Escaping-Kaiser-Dramatic-Experiences-Tommy/dp/1473821940/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1

It is also available in Kindle format: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Escaping-Kaiser-Dramatic-Experiences-Tommy-ebook/dp/B00PYP17HQ/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

My grandfather fought in the Second Battle of Ypres and was captured, along with many others, on April 25, 1915. He subsequently spent 16 months as a PoW at Rennbahn camp, otherwise known as Münster II.

As the jacket sleeve says:

Memoirs of captivity in the Great War by Tommies are rare enough, but an account such as this by a successful escapee is exceptional. Only a week after leaving England with his regiment in April 1915, Private Herbert Tustin was captured at the Second Battle of Ypres. He describes the horror of trench warfare, his treatment on being taken prisoner and the three-day train journey into Germany. There follows a thorough and vivid account of his 16 months at Rennbahn PoW Camp: the hunger, hardships and brutalities; the prison work; the character of the various nationalities; the activities and recreations; and the friendships and humour.

In late summer 1916 the author, together with a Canadian PoW, Gerrie Burk, escaped over the wire. For the next ten days they headed for Holland, travelling by night, sleeping rough and surviving on the barest of rations. Somehow, they miraculously managed to avoid recapture, despite the closest of calls. Once on the Dutch coast they found a boat, the SS Grenadier, to carry them across the mine-strewn, submarine-infested North Sea to England, arriving on 18 September. This amazing story of war, imprisonment, survival and escape, enhanced by original photographs, concludes with the author’s wife recalling the hero’s welcome home, the joyful reunion and his proposal of marriage.

- I discovered the manuscript about 18 months ago and have subsequently researched the subject of PoWs and Rennbahn camp where my grandfather was imprisoned. The book begins with an eight-page introduction by myself to help put the memoir in historical context. I'm amazed at what I have been able to find out and hope the publication of the book encourages more stories and information to come to light. I have already made contact with members of this forum who had relatives at Rennbahn PoW camp, and would be happy to share information with others.

post-99572-0-75442900-1416789543_thumb.j