The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Any West Riding RHA WW1 Books?

raysen

Hi,

Please excuse the vagueness of the title - But I am after recommendations for any books (or magazine issues, tv episodes perhaps) that concentrate on the West Riding RHA during WW1.

I have done a little googling and have found various WW1 RHA books but I want it to be as close, or as detailed as possible to what my grandad would have been in.

If it helps, He was in the 684 / 608299 regiments of 1/1st Battery West Riding RHA, of 52nd Lowland Division the 263rd Brigade RFA

I know he enlisted in April 1915 and served in the middle east but would really really like to get my dad something to read or watch about his dad's journey almost 100 years ago.

Many thanks if anyone can help!

Rachael

Nothing that precise I suspect, Chris Baker in our parent site The Long Long Trail says this in his section on Territorial Artillery.

West Riding
Battery HQ was at Wentworth Woodhouse, Rotherham, and the unit was allocated as artillery support to the Yorkshire Mounted Brigade.

No second-line unit was formed for this battery.

The 1/1st Battery served in the Middle East from 1916 to 1918 as part of the 263rd Brigade RFA.

There's a topic here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163046

It seems that they served in Palestine, so books about that campaign might be your best bet. Someone will be able to suggest some I am sure.

keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your response. I'll try to have a look for some books on Palestine in WW1 and see what comes up - I was hoping for something as close to his regiment as possible, but the journey while over there could be just as good if I find the right book.

Cheers