The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Joseph Henry Ware MC

Guest PVK

Hello, I'm trying to find out a little more about this man's military career on behalf of his granddaughter, particularly the circumstances surrounded him being awarded the MC.

He was Battery Sergeant Major with the 150th Battery, Royal Field Artillery, and was appointed Warrant Officer Class II on 12th July 1915. (The document recording this appointment is itself dated February 1917.)

He survived the war, and amongst his other medals were the Mons Star 1914 and the French 'Medal De Honour'. I'm not sure about this last one...just going by what information she wrote down for me. Pretty sure it's not the Légion d'Honneur though.

I've tried the London Gazette, but there seems to be no record of him. I'd be grateful for any help or information

Thanks

Paul

13868 A/RSM Joseph Henry Ware, received the MC in the London Gazette of 1 Jan 19 for service with 'D' Battery, 79th Brigade, RFA in the 17th Division. No citation was published. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick, thanks very much for that. If it was published in the Gazette on January 1st 1919, does that mean he was awarded the MC on that date, or was it just that it took time for these things to be announced ?

Also, was the MC awarded only for a specific act of bravery or was it also awarded for meritous service over a period of time ?

I wish we could find out why he received it.

Regards

Paul

Paul wrote:

does that mean he was awarded the MC on that date, or was it just that it took time for these things to be announced ?

Also, was the MC awarded only for a specific act of bravery or was it also awarded for meritous service over a period of time ?

I wish we could find out why he received it.

Paul: The date 1 Jan 1919 is the date the award was gazetted (announced). My experience is that the actual event(s) for which the award was given could have been anywhere between three and six months before the announcement of the award. MCs could be awarded for specific acts of bravery or for meritorious service over a period of time and my experience is that Birthday Honours (1 Jan of each year) awards were most often of the second type.

Regards. Dick

Chris: Thanx. I must be getting senile. You are absolutely correct: New Years Honours are on 1 Jan and Birthday Honuors in early June. Regards. Dick

Ah, so it could be a New Year's honour for meritous service over a period of time. Thanks a lot for your replies Dick, very much appreciated.

Thanks to you too, Chris

Regards

Paul