The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Antwerp Campaign 1914

The Scorer

Can anyone recommend a book about this, please?

I've read the Royal Naval Division "official" history, which contains a lot about it. However, I would like to read a book about the campaign as a whole - e.g. the origins, actions and aftermath.

Thank you.

I can think of two more that have plenty of detail in and my own book they are:

Britain's Sea Soldiers by General Blumberg

On Four Fronts with the RND by Geoffery Sparrow MC & J N McBean-Ross MC Surgeons RN

A Sunny August Bank Holiday to a Wet Easter RMLI 1914-16 by TJ Budd

Regards

Pompey

The current edition of the Western Front Association's 'Bulletin' has an interesting and fairly detailed section about the RND at Antwerp with maps and photographs:

100th Edition Bulletin

November 2014

The Royal Naval Division during the Siege of Antwerp, 3 - 12 October 1914

by Niko Van Kerckhoven

pages 76 - 80

Mark

The current edition of the Western Front Association's 'Bulletin' has an interesting and fairly detailed section about the RND at Antwerp with maps and photographs:

100th Edition Bulletin

November 2014

The Royal Naval Division during the Siege of Antwerp, 3 - 12 October 1914

by Niko Van Kerckhoven

pages 76 - 80

Mark

Thank you; yes, I'll be reading that with interest - and having a look at the web sites that are named as the sources.

Thanks again for your help with this; I've now had an opportunity to read Niko van Kerckhoven's article in "The Bulletin", and very good it is, too.

I've also looked at the sources, but sadly (and this isn't in any way a criticism) there's nothing there that I can use. The reason is that whilst "Britain's Sea Soldiers" by H E Blumberg looks to be a good book, the cost to buy it is well out of my price range; Amazon have one copy for £130, whilst although Abe Books have several copies, they start at £65 and end at £262.50 pus postage!

I've already read the second book that's been used as a source - "The Royal Naval Division" by Douglas Jerrold, and it is good. However, it's just about the RND's part and not about the "bigger picture", which is what I was really looking for.

Niko's article, though, has helped my understanding of the situation ... maybe there's a book to be written there by someone (no, not me!) sometime in the future!

Scorer

Greetings

Wait until the New Year and this should be available at 20% discount:

http://www.naval-military-press.com/britain-s-sea-soldiers-a-record-of-the-royal-marines-during-the-war-1914-1919.html

It is worth buying at around 25 pounds.

Harry

I got my copy of Sea Soldiers as a PDF from www.militaryarchive.co.uk at a cost of £7.99 a couple of years ago

Regards

Pompey

Scorer

Greetings

Wait until the New Year and this should be available at 20% discount:

http://www.naval-military-press.com/britain-s-sea-soldiers-a-record-of-the-royal-marines-during-the-war-1914-1919.html

It is worth buying at around 25 pounds.

Harry

I'll have to keep an eye out for this; thank you.

I got my copy of Sea Soldiers as a PDF from www.militaryarchive.co.uk at a cost of £7.99 a couple of years ago

Regards

Pompey

Thanks for this; yes, it's still on there at the same price, but there's no way that I can download and print a 368 page document!

Thankfully, though, I l know where I can get a copy of the book (via my local library) if I want to read it again.