The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

KOYLI Private 76325

Entwistle

HI,

I am trying to find out more about a 'Private William Entwistle' 76325. (KOYLI 6H028)

According to his death certificate he was formerly a Private in the Kings Own Yorshire Light Infantry. He died aged 23 of Pneumonia and a Gunshot Wound to the chest at Bellahoustan Miltary Hospital, Glasgow in 1921. (The date is a bit of a mystery as obviously slightly post war....)

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the activities of the KOYLI 1918-1921 or give me any advice on how to find out more about his young man.

I am guessing he was wounded in or shortly after the War. He is not listed on the Commonweath War Graves site. I have found his medal card, but as yet have not looked up the ref for the medal roll and/or unit diaries at at Kew as I live a long way away.

Thanks for you time.

Entwistle,

The number you supplied was his service number with the Northumberland Fusiliers. The KOYLI number being 64028.

I assume you've got the MIC.... which KOYLI Btn was he in, as this will help pinning him down?

Les.

Just a thought but because he died of a gunshot wound to the chest in 1921 does not necessarily mean that he received the wound whilst in service. It could be the result of a civilian shooting, his death certificate, as you say, states that he was formerly a private in the KOYLI.

It may be possible to check the Glasgow newspapers of the time to see whther such an incident is mentioned.

Andy

Thanks Andy!

I did wonder about that myself. Have posted on rootschat.co.uk/Lanarkshire pages to see if anyone will do a look up of Glasgow Newspapers for me.

Entwistle,

My Great Grandfather was an Entwistle too, see my signature below. I don't know if you know about this site......... www.entwistlefamily.org.uk , I hope this helps.....

.... Does your family have any Thomas's, Arthurs' or Dixon's in it?. My Great Grandfather was born in Burnley in 1892, son of Thomas Entwistle, and, brother of Arthur Entwistle and Thomas William Entwistle. In 1902 the father and 3 of the children died, I assume the cause of death to be an epidemic of some kind. I have yet to find out anything more than that.

cheers Shelley :D

Entwistle,

Thanks for the email :D

cheers Shelley