The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

LANCE CORP 18267 HOWARTH 6TH BATTLN LOYAL NORTH LA

Guest BRENTHOWARTH

Guest BRENTHOWARTH

I HAVE ALMOST NO RECORD OF MY PATERNAL GRANDFATHER OTHER THAN, THAT HE WAS IN 6TH BATTALION LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT No 18267 AND THAT HE WAS WOUNDED AND WAS HOSPITALISED IN CHESTER WHERE HE MARRIED A NURSE ANNIE PRILE, I WAS HOPING YOU COULD STEER ME TOWARDS ANY NURSING STAFF RECORDS IN CHESTER. OR MY GRANDFATHERS MILITARY RECORD.( THE REGIMENTS RECORDS AT PRESTON FOR 1914-1918 CONSISTS OF ABOUT 6 SCRAPS OF PAPER IN A SHOE BOX)

I can't directly help with your request but look at my signature below.

It is possible that you are a distant relation of my wife. Sjt Thomas Howarth (Loyal North Lancs) was my wife's great uncle and they came from the Chorley area.

.( THE REGIMENTS RECORDS AT PRESTON FOR 1914-1918 CONSISTS OF ABOUT 6 SCRAPS OF PAPER IN A SHOE BOX)

I'd take another look there if I were you!!!! ;)

(Where in Preston did you look?)

Dave. <_<

Guest BRENTHOWARTH

Thanks Dave

I will try a closer look.

The quote about the "6 scraps of paper" was made to me by an official when i telephoned Fullwood. Maybe he was trying to put me off ?

The only information I have about my grand father comes from his marriage certificate from 1916 stating His rank , serial No , 6th Batt,n. L.N.L.R. and his age 21

I don,t know where he was born, lived or where he enlisted. I remember as a child his Bayonet on the wall and an old brass shell case engraved with " Loyal n Lancs Mesopotamia 1918" by the fire with a poker in it. So from that i take it he went there as part of the New Army". after he was Married.

I also remember stories of a relative of his who was killed in action and was a sargeant, so Terry you may be right. only more research may tell.

I asked for any help as i can,t find any record of him or my Grandmother in the 1901 census for Lancs or Cheshire, so really i have hit a brick wall in my search.

Any ideas? Thanks....Brent Howarth...........Bolton.

Guest BRENTHOWARTH

thanks for the MIC info Terry

i Have just been to the site and paid for the download I will tell you in 7 days when i get it what info it has, or if you like i will attach a copy for posting on your site..

If you can,t tell i am buzzing .................Thank you ....... Brent.

Guest BRENTHOWARTH

Well here it is Terry

I am yet unsure what about the information it contains, Other than he may have fibbed on his Marriage certificate as to his rank. Maybe to impress a pretty girl???

How can i tell when he was in L.N.L.R and when he was in The Machine Gun Corps?

Can I get copies of any medals?

I may one day be able to use this computer, It belongs to my kids

Once again Thank you for your time and Effort

Brent.

medals.pdf

Brent

I am no MIC expert but it seems that he transferred to the MGC before disembarking overseas on 06.09.15. The theatre he entered looks like 2b which was Gallipoli.

All his three medals (1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal) are listed as MGC. The figures beside each medal refer you to the relevant pages in the actual Medal Rolls which may give you more info.

You quoted his number as 18267. Are you certain of this as there are several 'Robert Howarths' in the LNLR?

You can buy replicas of the medals - of varying quality - or you can embark on a lifetime search (probably fruitless) for his actual medals :(

Again, you need a rank expert here but he may not have fibbed about his 'rank'.

There is a difference between a 'rank' and an 'appointment'. I believe that Lance Corporal was an appointment which he may have gained at some point. I think the medals would be inscribed with the rank he held on qualifying for them rather than any later title.

Can one of the experts help me out here?

Brent

Progress. My wife quizzed her father tonight and it looks like your Robert Howarth could have been the brother of my Thomas Howarth!

I have quite a bit of info about Robert if this is the case but I shall contact you off-Forum as it is personal family stuff. My wife is away tonight but when she returns I shall get her to put it all down and we can compare notes to ensure it is the same chap.

It sounds like quite a story!!!

There is a difference between a 'rank' and an 'appointment'. I believe that Lance Corporal was an appointment which he may have gained at some point. I think the medals would be inscribed with the rank he held on qualifying for them rather than any later title.

Can one of the experts help me out here?

I'm no expert Terry but I do believe you are correct with your comments on Lance Corporal being an appointment rather than a rank & on the rank inscriptions on medals

Guest BRENTHOWARTH

Terry

I contacted a researcher for the MGC, and his reply is quite interesting :-

"Machine Gun Corps - Research ..169913 Pte Robert Howarth - Machine Gun Corps

Robert having in enlisted as Number 18267 in the Loyal North Lancashire

Regiment and disembarked in an active area on 6 September 1915, thus earning

a 14/15 Star, transferred to the Machine Gun Corps in 1918.

Of the 18 men who were killed in the LNL with numbers between 18200 and

18299, seven were members of the 1st Battalion, seven in the 6th Battalion,

two in the 7th Battalion and one in the 2/5th and 8th Battalions. In which

battalion Robert served is as yet unknown."

It is not yet known in which MGC unit Robert served........Brent.

PS .....Do the Names.....James, Robert,William and Albert mean anything to your Father in law???