The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Field Artillery Brigade

Guest billysiv

I now know that in Jan 1917 A,B and C battery 3rd South Midland Brigade RFA were transferred to the Army Field Artillery Brigade.

Question1. Where do I find out what engagements they took part in until the end of the war?

Question 2. Did the Ammunition Column supply all three batteries or was there more than one Ammunition Column. How many officers and other ranks would a typical Ammunition Column have.

All references I've found are vague about what the RFA boys of the 3rd South Midland Brigade did after Jan 1917 when they were transferred.

The order of battle of the Canadian Corps and Attached troops for the Vimy Ridge operation in April, 1917 lists among other "Attached" Troops the 242nd A.F.A. Bde. I am taking this from the National Archives web site located here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/firstworld...01050402_e.html

They are shown attached to the 4th Canadian Division. Presumably they would have been there for March and April (although this is speculation on my part). Much of the attached artillery started being sent north in July.

Presumably, this brigade would have been supported by the Ammunition Column of the 4th Canadian Division. At this time that Division did not yet have its own artillery, so the artillery (including the Ammunition Column) was the Reserve Division Artillery. This was the former Lahore Divisional Artillery.

Hope this helps a bit.

billysiv wrote:

I now know that in Jan 1917 A,B and C battery 3rd South Midland Brigade RFA were transferred to the Army Field Artillery Brigade.

Question1. Where do I find out what engagements they took part in until the end of the war?

Before the Echoes Die Away: The Story of a Warwickshire Territorial Gunner Regimen 1892-1969 by NDG James, Chapter 6, p 51-64: "One Man's War. 1914-1918" contains excerpts from a diary kept by Major H P Haynes who served with the 242nd Brigade, RFA from Aug 1914 to October 1918.

If you can't find a copy send me an email and I will send you a photocopy. Regards. Dick Flory