The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

'Tommy's War' by Richard Van Emden

Jim Hastings

Whilst doing some research on the 7th Queen's, an internet search came up with two photos of the Bn from Richard Van Emden's book 'Tommy's War'. Intrigued I delved further and, having enjoyed and learnt much from Richard's books in the past and the talk he gave at the Redoubt last year, I ordered a copy. It was on the mat on my arrival home from work, and as I browsed through the pages, some of the photographs just blew me away!!

This book is of great value for these rare photographs alone - I think the one on pages 320-321, showing a British trench on 21st march 1918, will stay with me forever - but there is also a good spread of accounts. Some I knew of, e.g. Sgt Sanderson of 2nd KRRC and Pte Hawkings of the QVR, but a lot I had not. In short, this is a 'Browsing Book Review', but I think I can say that many a GWF member will be happy to find this in their stocking this ... er ... season we won't mention (... or are we yet??)

Well done Richard!!

Good reading all!

Jim

For a limited period, duration not known, Amazon are selling the hardback edition for £5. Bargain!

• 3 weeks later...

Jim, when you mentioned the photo that "will stay with you forever", I INSTANTLY knew which one you were talking about. I checked my book to see if it was the same photo I thought of and, of course, it was. Although it is impossible for me to find the words for this photo, my very amateur attempt would be 2; unbelievably powerful. On top of that, Richard Van Emden's description and observations about the photo pull you in even more. Wow.

I thought this book was fantastic. Thanks Richard,

- J

Whilst doing some research on the 7th Queen's, an internet search came up with two photos of the Bn from Richard Van Emden's book 'Tommy's War'. Intrigued I delved further and, having enjoyed and learnt much from Richard's books in the past and the talk he gave at the Redoubt last year, I ordered a copy. It was on the mat on my arrival home from work, and as I browsed through the pages, some of the photographs just blew me away!!

This book is of great value for these rare photographs alone - I think the one on pages 320-321, showing a British trench on 21st march 1918, will stay with me forever - but there is also a good spread of accounts. Some I knew of, e.g. Sgt Sanderson of 2nd KRRC and Pte Hawkings of the QVR, but a lot I had not. In short, this is a 'Browsing Book Review', but I think I can say that many a GWF member will be happy to find this in their stocking this ... er ... season we won't mention (... or are we yet??)

Well done Richard!!

Good reading all!

Jim

Jim

Compliments of the season to you. I also picked this book up for a fiver (my one Black Friday indulgence!) and was equally blown away.

I did wonder whether it was going to be a bit of a retread of 'The Soldier's War' (apologies for the slur Richard if you read this) which had long been my favourite van Emden book. However it is so much more, both in the testimony and the truly remarkable pictures. Like Canadian J, I knew immediately which photo you were talking about. A truly haunting image - the seeping blood and the fog above all.

Very much only an extended browse so far, but high on the list for a proper read in 2015

David

David, J

Seasons greetings to you both, like you, David, I was concerned that it may have been too much like 'The Soldier's War', but what a treat! Wonder what Richard has planned next??!

Happy New Year fellas and have a 2015 full of good reads

Jim

Hi Jim, Canadian J and David

Thank you so much for those kind and encouraging words about 'Tommy's War'. The image to which you refer is about the only one for which the reproduction of the original is not quite as good as it could have been. The original is absolutely pin sharp, hence all the detail that could be seen (thanks to Taff Gillingham for help with that one).

I tried to make the book distinct from Soldier's War, so it you felt that has been achieved then I'm delighted.

The next book is a 'sister' book to Tommy's War and is on Gallipoli. I've written that with the marvellous Stephen Chambers 'Mr Gallipoli' as I like to call him. His collection of privately taken images on the Peninsula is amazing. We've also gleaned a few new ones from other sources including a remarkable and crystal clear image of hundreds of Aussie wounded lying near the beach the day after the attempted August breakout. Not a single man is aware of being photographed and there must be 1,000 people in the image.

Kind regards

Richard

Seasons greetings Jim.

This book was a Christmas present from my wife.The image you mention brings to mind the adage

" A picture is worth a thousand words"

Have a great New Year! Jim

The next book is a 'sister' book to Tommy's War and is on Gallipoli. I've written that with the marvellous Stephen Chambers 'Mr Gallipoli' as I like to call him. His collection of privately taken images on the Peninsula is amazing. We've also gleaned a few new ones from other sources including a remarkable and crystal clear image of hundreds of Aussie wounded lying near the beach the day after the attempted August breakout. Not a single man is aware of being photographed and there must be 1,000 people in the image.

Kind regards

Richard

Richard

Looking forward to the above. By the way I was delighted to see you have rescued 'Temporary Heroes' from its unjust obscurity. I stumbled upon it years ago and it has remained a firm favourite. How could you not love an author who starts his book with the self deprecating admission that the letters were not "a thrilling tale of derring do" but a collection "written from all kinds of places, mostly unpleasant, in all weathers, chiefly rain and at all sorts of odd times."

David

Hi Jim, Canadian J and David

Thank you so much for those kind and encouraging words about 'Tommy's War'. The image to which you refer is about the only one for which the reproduction of the original is not quite as good as it could have been. The original is absolutely pin sharp, hence all the detail that could be seen (thanks to Taff Gillingham for help with that one).

I tried to make the book distinct from Soldier's War, so it you felt that has been achieved then I'm delighted.

Kind regards

Richard

The Gallipoli 'sister' book will go down brilliantly if it's anything like 'Tommy's War' Richard! I'm helping an old comrade of mine track down the war of his GF in the 2nd SWB's who was wounded out there and the book could be just the present to give him with my findings. I was browsing through your and Steve Humphries' 'Veterans' book looking for something for a Year 8 lesson and realised how many extraordinary photos you include in your books, flicking through 'Boy Soldiers', 'The Soldier's War' and 'The Quick and the Dead' just reinforced this realisation: you are to be greatly commended for these along with your research and writing. Talking of 'Boy Soldiers', the photo of Pte Hunt of the 1/6th Glosters (pg. 247 of 'Tommy's War') speaks volumes: he looks about 13!

A Happy New Year to you Richard, and thank you again for your efforts

Jim

PS Without wishing to seem morbid, but was there any indication made on the referred image from 21st March 1918 about where it was taken, had the German written anything on the back? Was this a one off photo, or was a series of such like found?

Seasons greetings Jim.

This book was a Christmas present from my wife.The image you mention brings to mind the adage

" A picture is worth a thousand words"

Have a great New Year! Jim

Hi Jim and best wishes to your good lady,

At least five thousand in that particular image, eh?!

Have a brilliant New Year yourselves, hope your local project is going very very well

Jim

• 10 months later...

Finally got around to reading this excellent book. I want to highlight one particular passage; it is 2nd Lieutenant Geoffrey Fildes description of the return of his battalion (2nd Coldstream Guards) from the front line after taking part in the battle of the Somme pages 240 to 243. One of the most moving passages I have read in a great war book.