The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mystery picture, help identifying badges & uniforms?

johnboyarmo

Hi again, like my earlier post i

I have reason to believe one or more of these men may be from my local village Sheriff Hutton. If anyone can help in identifying what regiment or area they were in I'd be very grateful. they appear to be cavalry/horse orientated with their leather breeches and spurs,

Ive also done some blow ups of their heads for the badges. Any leads or info would be fantastic. The stamp on the phot says 'Black and white' Leith Street, Edinburgh which is I presume where they were stationed

Regards

John

and the blow ups!post-118799-0-35002900-1418071986_thumb.

post-118799-0-91060300-1418072027_thumb.

post-118799-0-37116400-1418072069_thumb.

post-118799-0-90456900-1418071918_thumb.

It looks to me like they are all Drivers from the RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) just going on the shape of their Cap Badges. Best check on that ... :thumbsup:

Also, it is not the clearest image but from what I can make out it would appear that the shoulder titles would support the above. I think it is RGA.?

Cheers, S>S

Thanks fella's, I havent found any matches from the casualty list but theres an even bigger list of theose who went and came back so fingers crossed, theres a small chance that one may be Alfred Hutchinson native of Sheriff Hutton although I have no further information on him apart from he survived. Interesting they are drivers as the village and my family has a long association with horses horsemen and horsebreeding

John

this could well be Alfred Hutchinson.. on enlistment perhaps in April 1915 , number 84970 in RFA, a 21 year old fitter on enlistment ..later fitter and Fitter serjeant.. from North View Sh Hutton.. his records survive in various units in 20 Division.. 93rd brigade, 92nd Brigade. then 52nd brigade .. .later 241 Brigade RFA and 102nd Brigade .. BUT I am not sure when in Edinburgh . as his first unit was Woolwich..it seems

this could well be Alfred Hutchinson.. on enlistment perhaps in April 1915 , number 84970 in RFA, a 21 year old fitter on enlistment ..later fitter and Fitter serjeant.. from North View Sh Hutton.. his records survive in various units in 20 Division.. 93rd brigade, 92nd Brigade. then 52nd brigade .. .later 241 Brigade RFA and 102nd Brigade .. BUT I am not sure when in Edinburgh . as his first unit was Woolwich..it seems

RFA and RHA Drivers were trained at Woolwich, where they had a depot for their special training.

• 3 years later...

Hello again, four years later!

Wondering if anyone can help again please, I have recently unearthed some new information that leads me to believe the person on the far right of this photo is Ernest Cattle, 129731who was a driver  in the RFA, originally from Sheriff Hutton. The records I have show him to have enlisted at Newcastle upon Tyne and he was posted overseas ending up in Egypt which probably saved his life. The records are burnt and some writing indistinct but would ideally like some connection with Edinburgh if possible which would all tie in. Is there any way of checking this? it says he was originally posted to 29 SAAS if this makes any sense?

Thanks,

John

I think that SAAS was probably one of the regional Siege Artillery Schools.  Best guess for SAAS would be Siege Artillery Arms School.

Edited by FROGSMILE

29th Small Arms Ammunition Section.

Your best bet is to find a gunner who was probably posted to a home based unit in, or near, Edinburgh - http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/royal-artillery-depots-training-and-home-defence-units/, or any unit that was being raised there.

Kevin

There are some KIA mentioned as S.A.A.S. 166th Brigade RFA, which suggests there is no connection with siege artillery after all.

Edited by FROGSMILE

29th Brigade Small Arms Ammunition Section Ammunition Column.  Part of the Divisional Ammunition Column of 10th (Irish) Division supplying SAA to the infantry of 29 Inf Bde and (probably) under the command of the LVII Brigade, RFA.

This was in Salonika.

See here for more detail on SAAS units ...

and here ...

Edited by MBrockway
Additional link included

Thank you Kevin and Mark, I had never heard of the SAAS element of an Artillery DAC before.  It makes sense now.

Edited by FROGSMILE