The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battle of Lys book query............

tom bowler

THE LYS ESTAIRES & GIVENCHY - German spring offensive Phil Tomaselli

THE BATTLE OF THE LYS 1918 - Givenchy and the River Lawe Phil Tomaselli

The ISBN numbers seem to be the same.

Is this the one book with two slightly different titles, does anyone know ?

My paternal Grandfather was captured in this German advance so I am avidly trying to gain knowledge about this battle. He was with the 9th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and would have been in the Croix du Bec area

I would be interested in anyone's views on this book/books.

I 'got stung' with a book title a few years back by Anthony Beevor.

I bought the hardback The Battle for Spain and the softcover The Spanish Civil War. They are both ostensibly the very same book.

Whilst I don't know the answer to your question, I would recommend Chris Baker's book on the same subject, if you haven't already got it

Yep, second Chris Baker's book - great read.

My paternal Grandfather was captured in this German advance so I am avidly trying to gain knowledge about this battle. He was with the 9th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and would have been in the Croix du Bec area

Have you got his ICRC records?

I second Steve on this,Chris Bakers book"The battle for Flanders,German defeat on the Lys 1918" is excellent.

Would be interested to hear any reviews on the book you have mentioned also,My great great uncle lost his life in the german spring offensive,so this is an area of interest for myself too.

Shane

Have you got his ICRC records?

Yes mate thanks. That is how I know he was shot in right eye and served rest of the war thence at Munsterlager lazarett and Soltau.

Than you for the kind remarks above. The two titles of Phil's book do refer to the same work; whether one is an update from the original I am not sure. From memory I do not think it covers the fighting at Croix du Bac.