The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

THE BUFFS

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :rolleyes:

Could anyone please give me anymore information on G/4413 Frederick George Curness 1st Batt 'The Buffs'. He died on 15-9-16 remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

Cheers

Tim.

Yes Tim I sure can. What is your interest in him ?

Frederick George Curness went overseas on the 1st June 1915 with the 6th Battalion Buffs. He was one of the original members of the Buffs first New Army Battalion. They were to take a hammering at Loos on 13th October 1915.

At some stage he transferred to the 1st Battalion but without looking at his service record I can't tell you when or why.

He was born at Greenwich and this was his abode when he died. He enlisted at nearby Deptford.

On 14th Sept the 1st Bn moved up to assembly trench on the north side of the Guillemont - Combles Road. They were to attack German lines running NE from Bois de Bouleaux the following morning.

At 06:20 on 15th the barrage opened up and at 06:35 the Buffs advanced. The German defences had been almost untouched and they were cut to pieces by MG fire from left, right and the centre.

By 12:30 many Buffs were still in the open and occupying shell holes. At 19:00 the Battalion was withdrawn to support trenches NW of Wedge Wood.

Statistics for the day:

Killed - 3 officers, 53 ORs

Missing - 1 officer, 58 ORs

Wounded and missing - 2 officers, 7 ORs

Wounded - 3 officers and 183 ORs

A total of 310 casualties. Frederick was one of those killed.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Well done with the thread title by the way - it's a pity they're not all so eye catching.

Hi Mick, :)

Top man that information on him is brilliant. You seem very interested in The Buffs, what is your interest in them ? My interest in Frederick is that I have his 14-15 Star, and my interest with Victor Le Feaver which you replied to aswell is that I have his BWM. Thanks once again.

Tim. :D

Tim

What started as a passing interest has grown into an obsession. There is very little written about the Buffs but their history is just as interesting as some of the more fashionable Regiments. It is my aim to redress the balance and raise their profile.

Look after the medals - they fought hard for them.

Mick

Hi Mick, :rolleyes:

I certainly will and I intend to collect more. I would very much Like to read more about The Buffs could you please suggest how I can get hold of reading matter. As far as I'm concerned The Buffs are up there with the best ! Maybe it's in my blood although I'm a Midlander I was adopted as a baby and my birth parents are from Kent. :D

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

The only book in print about the Buffs in WW1 is the Historical Records of the Buffs by RSH Moody. Why not give our own Tom Morgan a shout. If he can't supply it, try Naval and Military Press.

The best documents to read are the war diaries. They are at the National Archives in Kew.

There will be a new book out about the Buffs in the next couple of years

Hi Mick, :)

I will do. Thanks for that.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim,

If you have a general interest in the Buffs, I have a photograph that I have scanned, of the first 100 employees of Wm Cory & Son to join the Buffs 1914. My interest is that my great grandfather served in that regiment, & is in this photo somewhere, if you would like a copy emailed, just let me know.......

Mark

Mark

I would be VERY interested in that photo. They formed D Company of the 6th Buffs and I am doing some research on them. They are the only 'Pals' unit of the Buffs. I'll email you off forum

Mick

Hi Mark, :)

I would love a copy please. I'll Email you. Many Thanks.

Cheers

Tim.