The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW look up

harribobs

I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to look up a soldier for a friend who's looking into his distant relatives

the soldier is:-

Smith, Edward 26690, KSLI ( also shrops yeomanry 2402 ?)

died 21/12/19

i have his MIC and CWGC info but any further information would be much appreciated

thanks

chris

thanks John

much appreciated

chris

.I have to go out now will look again later,

cheers.

John.

I wouldn't. He's not in it. The KSLI volume was compiled (and published ?) before the date of Smith's death.

Dave.

Hi Chris, :)

I looked him up and couldn't find him in SDGW. Had a quick look at his MIC, and it states Shropshire Light Infantry Depot. So it would appear he was never attached to a battalion so he won't show up on SDGW. Someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Chris, :)

I looked him up and couldn't find him in SDGW. Had a quick look at his MIC, and it states Shropshire Light Infantry Depot. So it would appear he was never attached to a battalion so he won't show up on SDGW. Someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

Cheers

Tim.

Thanks Tim

I see Dave has the answer as to why he's not in it

the good news is my friend has got a more information than he started with

Many thanks to all who spent time on this, much appreciated

chris

Hi chris

Pte Edward, Smith's battalion was the 7th K.S.L.I. This info. is from Victory/British Medal Roll.

I am 99% sure he joined the battalion at the start of October 1916. A large batch of formerly Shropshire Yeomanry joined the 6th Battalion on 1-10-16 but a batch belonging to the same run of numbers also joined the 7th Battalion.

Regards

Annette

Chris ask your friend if he knows if John Percival, Smith of Withington is a relitive. His K.S.L.I. No. was 26691 and Shrops. Yeo. No. was 2807. The closeness of the numbers may not mean they were related but who knows ? By the way John Percival, Smith parents may have lived in Upton Magna.

Annette

Chris ask your friend if he knows if John Percival, Smith of Withington is a relitive. His K.S.L.I. No. was 26691 and Shrops. Yeo. No. was 2807. The closeness of the numbers may not mean they were related but who knows ? By the way John Percival, Smith parents may have lived in Upton Magna.

Annette

Hi Annette

that is interesting, i think there's a decent chance of there being a connection

i'll see him tomorrow and give him that information ( that will keep him busy for a while :lol: )

thanks again for your help

chris