The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Swansea in the Great War

ralphjd

Just like to post re this book by Bernard Lewis GWF member, we swapped books, mine for his recently, and I must say his is a very good read,very informative, hope he likes mine . Thanks Bernard. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ralph.

As I said yours is a very impressive volume and clearly the result of painstaking research. A fitting tribute indeed to the lads who fell.

Chris - £4!! Where's the phone number for my solicitor! ;0)

Bernard

Scalyback: you're making me blush...

And note I'll now be speaking on the 5 February as on the 6th Wales play England in the rugby, wot ho! I think the branch was concerned that my appearance would hit the attendance at the game... ;0)

Bernard

Scalyback: you're making me blush...

And note I'll now be speaking on the 5 February as on the 6th Wales play England in the rugby, wot ho! I think the branch was concerned that my appearance would hit the attendance at the game...

Bernard

And note I'll now be speaking on the 5 February as on the 6th Wales play England in the rugby, wot ho! I think the branch was concerned that my appearance would hit the attendance at the game... ;0)

Bernard

Is this a confirmed date, please? The reason I ask is that the Branch web site still shows the Friday for the meeting?

Thanks.

I was contacted by the speaker sec and we agreed the switch to the Thursday, 5 Feb. I was unaware of the rugby clash and was happy to change. Maybe the website is not yet up to date? I'll nudge them...

Bernard

I'll email JW today with a bit of luck, assuming he's finished the mince pies!

Bernard

I was contacted by the speaker sec and we agreed the switch to the Thursday, 5 Feb. I was unaware of the rugby clash and was happy to change. Maybe the website is not yet up to date? I'll nudge them...

Bernard

I'll email JW today with a bit of luck, assuming he's finished the mince pies!

Bernard

Thanks - but John seems to be still liking the mince pies, as the web site hasn't been amended yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Does this book contain much that is not already in the Swansea Pals book which I already have? A great book by the way. I bought the Carmarthen book in the same series and that at the start states that much of it is from the Carmarthen Pals book which I again already owned, which is another great book. I also ordered the Cardiff and the Vale edition in the same series but that has the advantage of in that I do not already own a similar book on the same subject. In regards the latter there is a follow up Cardiff and the Valleys edition soon to be released.

Hi Jerry.

'Swansea in the Great War' runs to 224 pages, about 90,000 words and 200 images. Very little of it covers material from the Swansea Pals book - it certainly isn't a 'copy and paste' though the formation of the battalion is briefly mentioned as well as the service of JS Strange, DSO, MC.

There are chapters on Recruitment and conscientious objection; medical services at Swansea; food supply problems; the effect of the war on Swansea industry (mainly the docks); the changed role of women; enemy aliens and Belgian refugees at Swansea; Swansea's VC winners (2) get a chapter to themselves; a chapter on the Swansea lads who returned from far flung parts of the Empire to join the fight; a chapter on Great War myths; vignettes on Swansea lads who served (and usually got killed in the examples quoted) on land, at sea or in the air and a chapter on remembrance.

A very different book to Swansea Pals (which I'm glad you enjoyed).

It is available from Pen and Sword and local (Swansea) book stores though its recently been shown as 'out of stock' or 'not yet published' on Amazon. I have complained to Pen and Sword about that but it seems to be a problem between the wholesaler and Amazon. Selling well (for a local history) with 650 shifted in the first four weeks after publication and the Xmas rush (then) to come. My fourth book and the fastest seller of them all! Five star review on Amazon from Chris Baker (WFA former chairman, founder of the GWF and The Long, Long Trail).

Bernard

For info my talk to the Cardiff branch of the WFA will now take place on 3 July. We couldn't match up my availability with that of the club, I'm afraid! And speakers for March - June were already booked.

Bernard

For info my talk to the Cardiff branch of the WFA will now take place on 3 July. We couldn't match up my availability with that of the club, I'm afraid! And speakers for March - June were already booked.

Bernard

Ah, thanks.

By the way I can sell copies of Swansea in the Great War for £13 including postage and packing to UK addresses though there are sellers on Amazon who can probably beat that. It was out of stock for Amazon Prime members when I looked at the weekend but other booksellers do sell through Amazon.

Bernard

My review

Bernard Lewis

Swansea in the Great War, Pen and Sword, Barnsley, £12.99, 174 pp, ills throughout, index, ISBN 178303294-4.

The effects of the First World War within our nation remains an under researched area by authors. Bernard Lewis’ Swansea in the Great War is the first book received for review in a welcome new Pen and Sword series “Your Towns and Cities in the Great War” which already includes Dover and Folkestone, Seaford and Eastbourne and a number of other major conurbations.

To sum up the life of a city in wartime is a complex and time consuming process. As well as city records Bernard Lewis an established local has scoured Swansea records of its people, their work, their newspapers and memories to produce a fascinating work about the influence and effects of war on the city. Subjects range from recruitment and conscientious objection to relief efforts in the city and from the city’s industrial efforts and the changing role of women.

The author provides a wide ranging and highly readable evaluation of Swansea at War which reveals much of the life of the city between 1914 and 1918, the unexpected consequences of war and, finally, how Swansea ensured remembrance of those who had died. Recommended.

Cheers David!

Bernard

It was the cause of quite a bit of sweat... :thumbsup:

Bernard

Hi Jerry.

'Swansea in the Great War' runs to 224 pages, about 90,000 words and 200 images. Very little of it covers material from the Swansea Pals book - it certainly isn't a 'copy and paste' though the formation of the battalion is briefly mentioned as well as the service of JS Strange, DSO, MC.

There are chapters on Recruitment and conscientious objection; medical services at Swansea; food supply problems; the effect of the war on Swansea industry (mainly the docks); the changed role of women; enemy aliens and Belgian refugees at Swansea; Swansea's VC winners (2) get a chapter to themselves; a chapter on the Swansea lads who returned from far flung parts of the Empire to join the fight; a chapter on Great War myths; vignettes on Swansea lads who served (and usually got killed in the examples quoted) on land, at sea or in the air and a chapter on remembrance.

A very different book to Swansea Pals (which I'm glad you enjoyed).

It is available from Pen and Sword and local (Swansea) book stores though its recently been shown as 'out of stock' or 'not yet published' on Amazon. I have complained to Pen and Sword about that but it seems to be a problem between the wholesaler and Amazon. Selling well (for a local history) with 650 shifted in the first four weeks after publication and the Xmas rush (then) to come. My fourth book and the fastest seller of them all! Five star review on Amazon from Chris Baker (WFA former chairman, founder of the GWF and The Long, Long Trail).

Bernard

Thanks for clearing this up for me Bernard, on my to get list.

I'm sure I will have some, I'll keep one for you. £10 on the night, currently £12.99 on the cover.

I've also reminded Amazon that it HAS been published and they're checking their system...

Bernard

Ooohhh!

Bernard