The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Swansea in the Great War

ralphjd

'Swansea in the Great War' has now been reviewed in 'Morgannwg - the Journal of Glamorgan History'. Verdict: 'outstanding,'. So I'm happy with that.

In the same issue there is a scathing review of the book on Cardiff in the Great War by Phil Carradice. You pays your money and...

Bernard

Top review there. Unfortunately I shall not be making your WFA talk in Cardiff. Double booked, one will be at the castle watching some local band. Any other talks in South Wales do say!!!

Gawd Scalyback! I'll have to do a one on one talk for you!

I have a couple of talks coming up in June/July etc but they're basically in Swansea...

Bernard

I'll post 'em here over the weekend!

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Just found some letters my Australian Grandfather sent from "Penrice Castle" Glamorgan while he was recovering from Gallipoli. Very candid comments on life in the grand house - butlers, silver, etc. He spent some time visiting local villages with a member of the family - a Cpt. Talbot. I look forward to visiting the area after my reseach has found all possible "footsteps."

Ah, nice info. There are some documents in the West Glamorgan Archive Service about Penrice. The house is still owned by the same family. The Talbot's were a wealthy family who had a large gothic property at Margam Castle (its a big house, not a castle). I'll be there on Sunday for a charity walk!

Bernard

That has given me a thought about another family the Crawshay mob. I don't think the main house was given up for the war, I will check that out. The younger members of the family did serve and die but the older generation if I remember correctly was very complex.

Good luck with the walk, I shall be doing a cycle race along the A40.