The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Two flyleaf book dedications a war apart

burlington

This is from the flyleaf of Lord Northcliffe's 1916 book 'At the War'. The book is a 'First Edition' of only one Edition (!) and is not worth a lot EXCEPT for these dedications.

Any info. or views folks?

Best wishes to all at this Season.

Martin

post-1268-0-94458800-1419435991_thumb.jp

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

Waugh the Reverend James Hay of Bretforton Vicarage Bretforton Worcestersire clerk died 15 Apr 1941 Probate Llandudno 5 Aug 1941 to the Reverend George Kenneth Morgan Green clerk and Arthur Waugh publisher.

Keth.

• 2 weeks later...

"Stallard" is my surname .... I wonder whether there's a connection?

I'm not aware of a family connection between South Wales (where I'm from) and Worcestershire, though. We have family in Gloucestershire and Somerset (and in Yorkshire, but they moved there well after the First World War (and possibly in the 1950's), so this is a mystery.

If you have any information about Mr (or Mrs?) Stallard, can you let me know, please?

Thank you.

There may course be no geographical connection between Mrs Stallard and J H Waugh. If there is really a connection then could be as member of his congregation. A search of Parish or Electoral rolls may establish this.

There may course be no geographical connection between Mrs Stallard and J H Waugh. If there is really a connection then could be as member of his congregation. A search of Parish or Electoral rolls may establish this.

That is, of course, very true; thank you.

Do you have access to the Parish or Electoral rolls or can you tell me who to find them, please?