The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Welsh on the Somme: Mametz Wood - Renshaw

clive_hughes

I have just picked up on Amazon that a book by Michael Renshaw entitled Welsh on the Somme : Mametz Wood is due to be released on 30 January, in the Battleground series.

Is this a new book, or a reissue of his Mametz Wood in the same series??

Clive

Good question Clive. I'm looking at his 2006 "reprint" of the 1999 "First published" right now. I would expect the new Jan 2015 publication to contain much new researched material to warrant a re-title. Is it possible to email Pen and Sword to establish its pedigree? Why not ehh?

On a slightly different angle - I wasn't entirely convinced with the original publication. It smelt of a job to be done; time spent; work done and fee received. Me; I like real passion in my Mametz boyo!

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!

I was looking at buying this a couple of weeks ago, but decided not to.

I should say that this wasn't because I didn't like it, but because there were other books that I wanted more! However, if it is good, I'll buy it, but I would appreciate some other views first. My main question is this: is it more of a guidebook as opposed to a history book, please? I'm guessing that it is the former because of the nature of the series, but help will be appreciated, please!

Thank you.

P&S have confirmed to me that the Renshaw book is a reissue under a new title.

"Reissue" being the same as "reprint" but under a different title? Isn't that illegal? Or it should be.

Not actually illegal. But a very cunning way of disguising a book so that only a good cataloguer will know it's the same one (I would then be able to indicate that on a catalogue record, but it's not something that either a publisher or supplier can usually be *rsed to do).

Lucky you! ;)

On checking, the phrase used was "the same publication reprinted under a new title". Not that the phrasiology matters overmuch - it's effectively the same book, so I don't need to consider buying it twice!

I was looking at buying this a couple of weeks ago, but decided not to.

I should say that this wasn't because I didn't like it, but because there were other books that I wanted more! However, if it is good, I'll buy it, but I would appreciate some other views first. My main question is this: is it more of a guidebook as opposed to a history book, please? I'm guessing that it is the former because of the nature of the series, but help will be appreciated, please!

Thank you.

So, can I assume that it is more of a guidebook than a history book, please?

Thank you.

The book runs to 176 pages. Info on visiting the site starts at page 145, before that its to do with the battle. Five walks are outlined.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Ah, I wish I'd seen this thread before. With Pen & Sword (and Amazon) describing this as a new release, I duly put it on my birthday wish list and received it a couple of days ago. This is the text of an email I've just sent to Pen & Sword.......

"Imagine my surprise, and especially my disappointment, when I opened one of my birthday presents (“Welsh On The Somme”) only to find that I already owned it, albeit under a different title (“Mametz Wood”) – both books published by Pen And Sword. Closer examination revealed that the only difference, apart from the title, was the cover – the entire book appears to be identical. I had put this book on my ‘Wish List’ believing it to be, as described on your website, a “New Release”. In fact, your website further suggests that a Perfect Partner for this “new release” would be “Mametz Wood” !!
I have no idea where my friend purchased the book from – she is currently travelling abroad – but I’d like to know what my options are and if they include swapping it for a title that I don’t yet own? I suggest that your website clearly shows that this is merely a reprint".
I await their reply.

Ohh Simond!

I feel for you!

Let us know what their reply is - post it here! It feels like a rip-off.

Will do. This was a genuine cock-up but I'd be lying if I said I haven't sometimes bought the same book twice on occasion (by mistake) - I've just got so many WW1 books. I sometimes see one in a bookshop, get it home and a day or two later......oh!

A very satisfactory result so thank you, Pen & Sword.

"Please accept our sincere apologies in this matter. There seems to have been a lack in communication on this publication. Welsh on the Somme is a re print of Mametz Wood under a new title, as requested by the author. We are correcting our website to reflect this information. If you return it, with the invoice if you have it, I can credit and re-invoice with a book of your choice".

Edited by simond9x

Hmmm!

"As requested by the author..." so the publisher complies unquestioningly.

Hands caught in cookie jars deserve to be rapped!

Thanks for the report simond; I'm glad its worked for you.