The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd Bavarian Regiment

Patrick Mooney

Hello All,

Well - it's been a long time since I have posted, :ph34r: but, I am always here skulking in the background and reading away.

I have misplaced my resources on the German Army Regimental System, but I am sure that Ralph or another pal can help me.

I am looking for information on the 3rd Bavarian Regiment, it's Regimental Number in the German Army System and it's service on the Western Front.

I have a friend who's grandfather served in the regiment, and he is looking for more information on the regiment.

Semper Fidelis,

Pat

Pat,

The 3rd Bavarian Reg't had no other number in the Prussian (German Army) system. Bavaria had its own numbering system so the 3rd Bavarian (Prinz Karl von Bayern) was based at Augsburg.

The 3rd IR served at first in the 2nd Bav Division (3rd Bav Inf Bde.) through 1915.

In 1914 served in Lorraine then in the Somme area.

In April 1915 the 3rd IR went to the 11th Bav. Div.

Served in Carpathians, Galacia, then Serbia.

Feb. 1916 to France--Antwerp then to Verdun (March).

June 1916 to Russia--Kovel

October 1916 to Rumania.

Jan 1917 back to France--Alsace --May to Aisne

October 1917 to Flanders (Passchendale)

Nov 17 to Jan 18 to Cotes de Meuse.

1918--Louvre-- April sent to Armentieres--June to Soisons--July Ypres

End of war near Ghent.

Joe Sweeney

Joe and Ralph,

Many thanks for the speedy answer! I had thought that the Bavarian Regiments also had Prussian regimental numbers, but it just goes to show - there is always something to learn on the Great War Forum.

They certainly moved around alot...I had hoped that May-July 1918 had them facing the Americans, which it looks like it may be possible. Can either of you recommend were I might find more detailed unit dispositions for this time period?

Thanks again!

Pat

I would suggest looking for the regimental history of the unit, I believe one does exist. Other areas of search could include the 16th Bavarian IR or 22nd Bavarian IR, both were in the same division. Unfortunately I do not have any of these for the period in question, sorry.

These could provide details on locations, unit actions, opponents, etc. Good luck in your search.

Ralph