The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Does anyone know the location of the Base Hospital

182 CEF

I am going over a mans record, at one point he was posted to Base Hospital M.D. 2. I know it was in Toronto but does anyone know where in the city?

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

Hi Dean,

As I'm going through the old newspapers, I've been collecting bits and pieces of information about the local military convalescent hospitals, and trying to build a list. Here's what I have so far. I'm posting everything in case anybody else is looking for this info. I'm still updating my list, so I'll try to get something more specific on the Base hospital for you.

Military Convalescent Hospitals

(list not complete):

Toronto:

Christie Street Hospital

Davisville Orthopaedic (amputees)- Avg. No. of patients =250

Military Base Hospital (Apr. 1917 article indicates it is on East Gerrard St.)- Avg. No. of patients =840

Exhibition Camps hospital

Spadina Convalescent Home or Spadina M.H. (College St.)- Avg. No. of patients =150

Central Military Convalescent Home (College St.)- Avg. No. of patients =150

Euclid Hall Convalescent Home (incurables)- Avg. No. of patients =45

Longwood M.C.H., Yonge St., North Toronto

Givens Street Military Hospital

*Avg. No Patients from Toronto Star August 27, 1918

Other Ontario

Whitby M.C.H. (shell shock, etc.)

Newmarket Military Hospital (shell shock)

Brant Military Hospital (at Brant House / Hotel, Lakeshore Rd., Burlington). Authorized for use in March 1917.

Dunedin Hospital

Victoria Hospital, Hamilton

Oak Hill M.C.H.

Mowat Memorial Hospital, Kingston

Rehabilitation

Dept. of Soldiers' Civil Re-Establishment, Orthopaedic & Surgical Appliances Branch, Invalided Soldiers' Commission, Keens Building, Spadina Avenue, Toronto.

I forgot to mention the buildings that were used at the Whitby M.C.H. (shell shock, etc.) are still standing, however the are boarded up. The Township is trying to have them pulled down. I live within 1 km of these buildings. I went out earlier this year and relic hunted to area, unforunatly the grass is badly grown up around the buildings and there is a lot of garbage lying around , so I found no WW1 perod items.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

Hi!

Funny you should mention the Whitby hosital as I was also curious if it was still there. It figures on many occasions in my newspaper articles - and as a place some of the men died during the war or shortly after the end of the war.

I think I have a picture - I'll check for it tonight and post it.

Marika

post-2-1099964124.jpg

I just found this old article on the situation at Whitby Convalescent hospital in 1917. I'm posting a couple of pages, and the rest of the story may be read here.

post-2-1100113469.jpg