The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gordon Highlanders

CROONAERT

Trying to solve a little mystery here.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the 1/Gordons were on 14th November 1914?

I'm getting conflicting evidence.

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave

From "The Life of a Regiment" (not verbatim)

The 1st. GH were astride the Menin Road on November 11, 1914 being attacked by the German 4th Division and remained there until relieved by French troops on 20th. November 1914.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Thanks Jim.

This is what most of my evidence seems to be pointing towards (though I can't find much mention of them after the 11th and before the 20th). Any idea why a casualty I'm researching who was KIA here on the 14th November would be commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, which, I believe(d) covered a different area ?

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

18 1st. Batt. GH were KIA on 14 Nov., 1914. Of these 16 are commeorated on Le Touret, 1 on Ploegsteert mem. and 1 in Zantvoorde Britsh Cemetery. If you want names etc. drop me a line.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Strange mix of places of commemoration with regards to the actual place of death don't you think? Any idea why?

Thanks, but I don't need the other names, but have you any idea exactly what happened on the 14th?

Cheers,

Dave.

From the British Official History, 1/Gordon Highlanders were part of McCracken's Group. I have picked up the story from the previous afternoon:

'[German] 4th Division, about 1.45 pm actually moved forward against McCracken's group, right of Wing's division, in the southern part of Herenthage woods. Its attack was repelled, except in the centre, where taking advantage of a trench that had been evacuated by 2/South Lancashire on account of heavy shell fire, the Germans pushed forward a short distance. After some hour and a half's fighting, during which they were taken in flank by the machine guns and rifles of the 1/Cheshire of Gleichen's group, and counter-attacked by two companies of the 1/Gordon Highlanders, they turned back before the Highlanders could reach them with the bayonet.

The night again passed quietly, but shortly after noon the Guard Division attacked on either side of the Menin Road against Wing's division, which had only [500] men in divisional reserve. South of the road on the right wing of the division, McCracken's group was attacked, probably by part of the 4th Division, but warned in good time of the enemy's massing, had little difficulty in holding its own, though the enemy's front trenches were only sixty yards away'

Robert