The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Bn The Royal Fusiliers

Sapper Will

Has anyone seen a diary or other material pertaining to this battalion? I live in the US and don't have access to the British National Archives. An excellant forum and website, very informative and entertaining. Thank you very much.

Guest deepathart

They must have existed - I have just typed a medal listing for a Pte Frank James Abrey 2 R.Fusiliers.

Have you tried the Long Long Trail for them.

Dee

Guest deepathart

SapperWill

Sorry that seemed a bit abrupt - you can get the Nat Archives at A2A on the net are you looking for any one in particular?

Just do a Google search for A2A and it comes up, it is pretty easy to follow.

The Long Long Trail is at the top of the page and is excellent for information on regiments etc.

Regards

Dee

Thanks, Dee. I checked out A2A and although there are many references to the Royal Fusiliers, there are none (as far as I can tell) specifically relating to the 2nd Battalion. This is surprising to me, as the 2nd racked up a distinguished record, including X Beach at Gallipoli and the first day of the Somme.

I have read that the infamous film footage which purports to show British troops going over the top at the Somme---we've all seen it---depicts men of the 2nd RF and 1st Lancs at Beaumont-Hamel. Although it's probably faked, this is still an interesting fact.

Guest deepathart

Sapper Will,

Try the Long Long Trail at the top left hand corner of this forum - Look for Royal Fusiliers and then scroll through it, you might come up with something there.

Dee

• 2 weeks later...

2nd Royal Fusiliers spent the entire war with 86th Brigade, 29th Division and were at Gallipoli and on the Somme. Some of Geoffrey Malins footage shot on 1st July 1916 shows British infantry, probably 2nd Royal Fusiliers, attacking the Hawthorn Crater and is genuine. I have copies of the 2/RF war diary for 1st July 1916 and a couple of accounts by survivors of the attack which I can probably do copies of although my scanner is up the creek at present. My interest is Beaumont Hamel rather than 2/RF but you are welcome to what I have.

Regards

Alastair Fraser

Actually, further research has revealed that my man originally served in the 8th Royal Fusiliers until Feb. of 1918, when that battalion was disbanded. He was transfered to the 2nd at that point and was killed in action in August. So the hunt is now going in a different direction. Thanks to you both for your help.

Guest deepathart

You are very welcome - a lot of people have helped me on this forum and I am happy to try and repay some of it, althoug I know that I never will.

Good hunting

Dee