The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

14th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers

Max

Hello Everyone

I have just been reading through an extract from the 64th Bde. war diary which describes the forming up of the Brigade on the night of 30th June 1916 just prior to their attack on Crucifix Trench on 1st July 1916.

I was most surprised to see the following: "At 10.30.p.m. 1st E.York.R (Lt.Col.Stow) entered PIONEER AVENUE and was followed by 15th Durh.L.I. (Lt.Col.Fitzgerald). These two battalions did not get into the positions assigned to them until 2 and 3.a.m. 1st July. The delay was caused by the condition of the working party of the 14th Northumberland Fusiliers(Pioneers) allotted for work with the Brigade. This party had been ordered to be in position by 11.15.p.m. but many of the men and the officer in command were drunk, and blocked PIONEER AVENUE. The party finally got to its place about 1.15.a.m."

Given that the report was written by the 64th Brigade O.C.. do any pals know if any charges were brought against either the Officer commanding the 14/NF in charge of the working party or any of the OR involved.

Andy

Guest Northumberland

Andy

what a great story; I'd love to think my grandfather was amongst them,; hopefully someone can answer your question; I believe Chris Baker has the war diaries for the 14th N/F.

Charles

I can just imagine the "banter" that would have been exchanged between East Yorkshire farmboys, Durham miners and the drunk Geordies, the air must have been blue.

I am truly surprised that the Brigadier does not mention whether any of the men were to be charged however.

Andy