The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Robert Fryer

Shiny

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out about the soldier standing up in the photo. His name is Robert Fryer and he was born 15th November 1886 probably in South Shields, Tyne and Wear and died 3rd March 1970.

I think he was in the Pioneers but can't be certain of that.

Is there anything in this photo that will help ID his unit and am I right in thinking they are service chevrons on his sleeve?

I'd really like to find out a bit more about him if I can.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

post-108251-0-53810600-1421764635_thumb.

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out about the soldier standing up in the photo. His name is Robert Fryer and he was born 15th November 1886 probably in South Shields, Tyne and Wear and died 3rd March 1970.

I think he was in the Pioneers but can't be certain of that.

Is there anything in this photo that will help ID his unit and am I right in thinking they are service chevrons on his sleeve?

I'd really like to find out a bit more about him if I can.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

3 overseas stripes so the picture was later in the war - They were authorised to be worn early in 1918 - so they probably went overseas in 1915 onwards,

Does that say Cairo in the bottom right corner ?

Craig

There are quite a few Robert Fryer in the MICs,you will need to be sure that is his full name or not,which will whittle down the possibilities. There are also likely to be KIAs among them which will whittle it down further,finally chasing each through the Medal Rolls on Ancestry UK and seeing which units were in Egypt in 1918 or later (I agree with Craig that it seems to say Cairo on the photo),which reduces the candidates yet again.

Hi,

He doesn't have the usual Pioneer collar badge of rifle & pick.

Steve

Hi All,

Thanks for the help.

I have spoke to my friend who's grandfather it is, she said he didn't have any middle names so that won't help much unfortunately.

I thought it said Cairo on the photo as well. She has also looked at the back of the photo but there's nothing written on it. She has sent me a second one though, not much more help for the uniform but it has got another place stamped on it - not that I can make out what it says.

She say's one of the things a relative has is a copy of the New Testament with covers made from olive wood that was his from the time. She says she can remember him talking about being in Palestine and that they think his friend in the photo, the man sitting down, is called Frank Bunt.

Not a huge amount more but I was wondering if the other name is easier to trace and might help ID Robert's unit?

Thanks again,

Michael

post-108251-0-48590500-1421847873_thumb.

1 medal card for a Frank Bunt (#393120) - 9th London's and Labour Corps. The 9th London served only in France so probably not him.

There was a #26632 & #24540 Frank Bunt of the DCLI & Dorsets but be never served overseas.

Nothing obvious under F Bunt bunt but there's a couple to look at.

Craig

1/5th Battalion

August 1914 : in Guildford. Part of Surrey Brigade, Home Counties Division.

29 October 1914 : to India, remaining there until December 1915 when moved to Mesopotamia, where they remained throughout the war. December 1914 - January 1915 with Lucknow Brigade, 8th (Lucknow) Division. Transferred in April 1915 to Allahabad Brigade in same Division. Transferred in November 1915 to 12th Brigade in 12th Indian Division and went to Mesopotamia. May 1916 transferred with Brigade to 15th Indian Division.

1955 / 243395 Robert Fryer of the Royal West Surrey's is a possibility.

Craig

1955 / 243395 Robert Fryer of the Royal West Surrey's is a possibility.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the information but what does the 1955 bit mean? Is that an original number or a year?

Michael

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the information but what does the 1955 bit mean? Is that an original number or a year?

Michael

It's his original 4 digit T.F. number prior to the 1917 renumbering.

Craig