The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Worshipper and Worshipped

CaroleHope

I would like to thank David Filsell for taking the time to read and submit a review of my book in the WFA publication StandTo! I am delighted that someone in the Great War community has finally got past the size of the book, got past the religious aspect of the book and recognised that Fr Doyle's letters are a valuable primary source for some events on the Western Front during the Great War. The book has its faults, not least the typos (I could not afford a professional proof reader) but these do not seem to have detracted from David Filsell's enjoyment of the book.

Carole

Hi Carole, I've just finished your book and found it a very informative and compelling read. As you say, the first hand accounts of the Loos, Somme and Ypres battlefields from someone who had a certain "freedom to roam" were very vivid but I also found his descriptions of his work as a frontline chaplain brought home the importance of their role.

Congratulations on a wonderful book.

Hi Carole, I've just finished your book and found it a very informative and compelling read. As you say, the first hand accounts of the Loos, Somme and Ypres battlefields from someone who had a certain "freedom to roam" were very vivid but I also found his descriptions of his work as a frontline chaplain brought home the importance of their role.

Congratulations on a wonderful book.

Thank you Steve, that is very kind of you to give that feedback and i am so glad you enjoyed it.

Carole

This is a great book Carole and provides a great insight into the work of a chaplain in the front line.

• 4 months later...

Worshipper and Worshipped is a real tour de force. Carole Hope’s wonderfully liberated approach to her subject allows her to take all sorts of highways and byways which, in the course of building up a picture of the extraordinary Fr. Doyle, enlighten the reader on a whole range of other subjects – his family and wider background, the Ireland of the period, politics, the general background to the Great War, the role of padres and chaplains, and tons of other stuff. If it seems to have been a roller coaster of a life, it clearly was not a roller coaster to Fr. Doyle whose absolute trust in his God allowed him to meet whatever demands were made with courage, equanimity and good humour. He’s clearly a man of unusual ability of courage and Carole’s access to his letters allows her to paint a full portrait of the man and his times. It’s a terrific read and I hope it’s only the first of many that she writes.

Christina