The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Family History

Guest swogger

Hi All

My name is Dave Davison, and I am doing some Family History.

My paternal grandfather (who. unfortunately, died before I was born)

lost a leg in WW1, on the edge of his medals is stamped "9403 Pte D Davison

Liverpool Rgmt" can anyone help out ?

Best Regards

Dave

Dave,

According to his Medal Index Card 9403 Pte D Davison, Liverpool Regiment also served as 359014. I believe the six digit number indicates he was a territorial as territorials changed to six digit numbers in 1917.

You can download his Medal Index Card here:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

I suggest you download it and add it to this post. People on the forum will then be able to tell you more about his service. From this the Medal Rolls can also be checked and these should hopefully tell you which battalion he was with.

Rgds

Tim

Dave,

Your grandfather David Davison served with 1/10 KLR (Liverpool Scottish) and at some point was attached to the Royal Engineers. He probably enlisted late in 1916. Thats all I have. Can you tell us a bit more about him?

Joe

Dave,

According to his Medal Index Card 9403 Pte D Davison, Liverpool Regiment also served as 359014. I believe the six digit number indicates he was a territorial as territorials changed to six digit numbers in 1917.

You can download his Medal Index Card here:

Rgds

Tim

Tim, please correct me if I am wrong but it does not necessarily mean that if a man had a four figure number he was a Territorial but that he may have joined a Territorial Battalion. I say this because my Father had a four figure number and did join a Territorial Battalion but he was not a Territorial.

Cliff,

I thought territorials changed to 6 digits in 1917...as this chap appears to have. I have researched a number of TF men and they all changed from four digits to six digits as this man has. According to Joe he was in the 1/10th Battalion (a territorial battalion). Then again.....I may be wrong.

Rgds

Tim

Tim Joe & Cliff

What a remarkable bunch of people you all are on this website.

You have given me so much more information, it should keep me

occupied for some time. I will download his medal index and post it.

Once again thank you so much, and I will add all information that I collect

Best Regards

Dave D