The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kent Cricketers who served

paul_adam

Just to let anyone who might be interested know that I published my first book in August last year. It is called For Kent and Country and is published by Reveille Press, covering the stories of the approx. 100 men who played cricket for the Kent CCC Elevens and served during the Great War.

I wanted to thank all those who run and participate on the LLT site and Forum as it is a fantastic source of information and help, and I have benefitted from it. When the book was launched during Canterbury Week last summer I even met Ajaxer, he of Wisden fame.

In addition to biographies of each man, the book includes a description of a number of theatres of war that the men served in, noting how they fitted in with major events and battles; how and when they volunteered or were conscripted, and for those already serving the mobilization process; the units they served with, Army, Navy and Air Force, cavalry, yeomanry, infantry, artillery, engineers, RNAS and so on; a roll of honour and a summary of all the awards they received.

They were an interesting bunch. Amongst the well known cricketers are Colin Blythe, Ken Hutchings and Frank Woolley. Some played for other counties as well as Kent, such as Claud Woolley the Northants player who began his career in the Kent 2nd XI with his brother, and joined up with Blythe and several other cricketers who lived in Tonbridge. Claud Woolley was with Blythe when he was killed, being wounded himself. Other lesser known players had illustrious military careers. Four were serving with the RE when they played for Kent. Of those: Lovick Friend was in charge of British Forces in Ireland at the time of the Easter Rising; Walter Coote Hedley (also played for Somerset) was with the Geographical Section of the War Office and was mainly responsible for the large volume of maps printed each day for the services; Everard Blair oversaw the building of the water pipeline across the desert towards Palestine; Arthur du Boulay was MID six times.

A good number served in the Dardenelles, others took part in the Battle of Jutland and the Raid on Zeebrugge. Two were taken POW, AJ Evans twice.

I spoke with the relatives of a few of the men, and all were proud of their fathers/grandfathers service. I also begged for help from schools, universities, museums etc and was given help without question in obtaining information and photographs. I would recommend it to anyone! I did also do an interview with local BBC Radio together with the Kent CCC curator which is now included on their World War One at Home website if anyone is interested in listening:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02b39rn

the photograph in the background is of Blythe and comes from the original in my possession.

I should point out that all profits from the book are going to the Poppy Appeal.

If anyone is interested the book is on amazon, and I do have a few copies myself and can send direct.

Paul Lewis

Paul, without giving too much away, can you reveal where Frank Wooley served? I've not looked very hard but I have not found any record of him. I've always had a soft spot for Frank having read Neville Cardus' descriptions of his batting. Interesting about his brother serving with Blythe, I visited the grave in June which was very poignant for me.

Pete.

Sure Pete, initially he failed his medical but having tried again (before the review of exemptions) he was accepted into the RNAS, and became part of the RAF when it was formed in 1918. He didn't really become an airman though - he served under Admiral Sir John de Robeck in Scotland. Prior to that he was at Dover and Felixstowe. There were two other Woolley brothers, neither pro cricketers - one stayed working at the father's workshop and the other, Charles Woolley, joined the Kent Fortress Engineers about the same time as Blythe and Claud. Having been posted to Gallipoli with HJB Preston (of Kent) he became the 1/1st Kent Field Company's first casualty. I did manage to find Frank's RAF service sheet at Kew which was a big help.

I do intend visiting Blythe's grave one day. In researching the book I went to Tonbridge School to go through their old publications in the library, and whilst there I did visit the Tonbridge Memorial Gardens where Blythe's name is inscribed, and also the church where there is a plaque to his memory. The plaque was paid for by public donations, at the same time the Blythe Memorial was paid for. The plans for the memorial and plaque started not long after his death and before the end of the War, an indication perhaps of how much he was thought of.

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's really interesting. I hope you can visit Blythe's grave in the not too distant future, it is well worth it.

Pete.

• 4 months later...

Blythe's grave, last Wednesday. (The bat handles in front are two miniature bats left by a visiting cricket club: we replaced them after photographing)

Ypres%2015%20092.jpg

Hi Paul.

A great project. Can I ask for the names of the Zeebrugge Raid men?

Cheers.

Dom

• 1 year later...

Hi Dom,

Apologies I haven't been on the site in a while. There was one man involved in the raid, which was Ted Humphreys. He helped crew one of the CMBs, and was based at Dunkirk. As such he wasn't a volunteer for the raid, but the CMBs there were used to lay smokescreens and so on during the Ostend Raid.

Cheers,

Paul