The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pen & Sword Kindle editions

paulgranger

There's not so many bargains in Kindle books on the Amazon website as there were, though they do occasionally pop up, so it's worth noting that Pen & Sword publish a large part of their catalogue in Kindle and eBook format. These are usually a flat price of £4.99, which is quite often better than Amazon's offer. For instance, Jerry Murland's book on the Aisne 1914 is £4.99 on P&S, but £7.67 on Amazon. P&S often have sales of the 'buy one/two, get one free' variety, and I downloaded 10 of their offerings for £25 the other week.

Buying Kindle books is slightly more complicated, you need to download them to a PC and then connect your Kindle and drag and drop the items, but it's not fiendishly difficult. I don't know if our overseas members can take advantage, it may be worth a try.

Thanks Paul. I will investigate the matter next time one of my kids is home or I go to visit. It is a process I need to be able to understand because a number of "archive" books are a bit different to download to kindle, and I don't really understand how to do it. Some just convert directly to Kindle and some have a glitch (as far as I am concerned) in the middle.

Hazel

Buying Kindle books is slightly more complicated, you need to download them to a PC and then connect your Kindle and drag and drop the items, but it's not fiendishly difficult. I don't know if our overseas members can take advantage, it may be worth a try.

I live in Germany and on the strength of your post I just bought the Kindle version of "A German Tommy" at £4.99 instead of the hardback for £19.99. I immediately received an e-mail with a link to download the file, which happened automatically, parking the file in my Download folder (Windows standard folder for all online imports).

I then just connected my Kindle and zapped the file across to its Documents folder - although I did re-name it to show the title instead of the long number it had from P&S. And it is perfectly legible.

With the mail containing the download link there is also a link to P&S's ebook help page which gives step-by-step instructions how to go about downloading and installing the book.

Not quite as convenient as buying from Amazon - but certainly nothing to be afraid of as long as you have a reasonably fast internet connection. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Colin

Thank you Colin. I will investigate!

Hazel C.

When i talked to my son he said the same. Will try.

thanks,

H

I like working with Pen and Sword Books! My `Foul Deeds...Swansea` and `Swansea Pals` books were adapted for Kindle though I was not notified of this at the time of their issue in that format (though I had received a `round robin` letter from the MD saying this would happen at some time).

Whilst I'm happy to increase the buying options of the public (more sales = more champagne and oysters!) the transfer to Kindle came with some drawbacks. Some image captions seem a little garbled while the facsimile lists of the first Swansea Battalion volunteers are unreadable on my tablet and, being facsimiles, the text size option doesn't help.

So good overall but with some niggles.

Bernard