The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Moonlight Massacre - The Forgotten Last Act of Third Ypres

redbarchetta

Finished reading this last week.

This book is the culmination of an obsession that has consumed ten years of the authors life, and as a result it is exhaustively researched, using German and British materials that has not seen the light of day for decades (if not since they were archived) and photos of many of those killed, that Mike has sourced from families, school archives etc.

There are many, many books on WW1 battles from ground level, from the diaries or memoirs of soldiers who fought. There are also many, many books on WW1 battles from a high level, memoirs of commanders, or reviews of strategies, tactics, weapons etc. There are very few that successfully draw together the two, giving you ground level, minute by minute actions in a battle, from the point of view of the soldiers, battalion commanders, divisional commanders and High Command. Mike’s extensive use, mainly published for the first time, of telegraph conversations between sections, battalions and divisional command as the battle was happening, make the middle section of the book, where the attack is actually happening, almost ‘real time’ for the reader – it almost feels claustrophobic as you genuinely feel the frustration at not knowing exactly what is going on, whether a certain strongpoint has been taken or not, getting conflicting reports and being unable to make key decisions as a result.

Because the book contains details on the discussions during the planning and the execution of the attack, you can understand the thinking that led to the decisions made. While it is easy to consider Third Ypres as futile, badly planned, badly executed and all the fault of the top brass, reading Mike’s book provides you with the true situation. This was an important attack, with very sensible strategic goals, planned to the nth degree and trying to introduce some novel tactics, learning lessons from the months of fighting at Passchendaele and trying not to repeat them. This was an army that was still developing, still trying to figure out ways of beating a determined and well organised enemy. That the attack did not work is frustrating (to the army at the time, and to you, as reader, 100 years later) but this shows you just how difficult such attacks were. Things that you planned do not turn out as you planned them, and one strongpoint that simply cannot be taken, and is in a most awkward position, can scupper a whole section of the attack, with a domino effect on all neighbouring sections. Highly frustrating.

I would highly recommend this book, more so because it is published by Helion so has been produced with no expense spared, yet can be purchased for less than £30 - colour maps, commissioned art work etc included. Excellent.

James

It's on my 'to-read' pile, and will be moving closer to the top on the basis of your review. And, yes, kudos to Helion for the quality of their products at affordable prices. Ashgate and Cambridge, look and learn.

I posted my review onto LLT yesterday.

A moonlight massacre
The night operation on the Passchendaele Ridge, 2 December 1917
by Michael LoCicero
published by Helion & Company, 2014
ISBN 978 1 909982 92 5
cover price – not stated
Hardback, 380pp plus notes, bibliography and index bringing it to 517pp. Illustrated.
reviewed by Chris Baker

This is a mightily impressive book. It sets a standard for anyone wishing to describe and analyse a military operation. Michael LoCicero is to be congratulated for what is clearly the product of deep and lengthy research. Despite being set out in a rigorous academic style with masses of technical detail, many original sources referenced and incidental information being included, his writing makes it easy to read. And well done to the publisher – page footnotes in such a work are so much easier for the reader than end notes: I wish some other publishers would do the same.

‘A moonlight massacre’ not only impressed me, it left me angry and sad. The limited operation which it describes, coming after what is normally considered the end of the dreadful Third Ypres offensive of 1917, was an appalling mess. The loss of life was very considerable and all too predictable. Men were asked to move into their position of attack by crossing miles of shattered ground; to attack in bright moonlight; to attack despite a key German strongpoint which was meant to have been already captured remaining in enemy hands; to attack in the knowledge that the enemy was alert and expecting it; and the infantry were to advance for five minutes without a shred of British artillery fire to cover it. In those few minutes, the battle was lost although inevitably the fighting went on and the enemy counter-attacked soon afterwards. Little wonder that many accounts reveal that British morale was at its lowest ebb around this time. The author’s calm, measured and factual narrative tells us exactly how this all came to be and how so many men were killed or disabled in the attempt. Even the most hardened military historian surely cannot fail to be emotionally affected by the human consequences of such affairs. And above all, was this relatively minor operation necessary or needed at all? I know what I think: I leave the readers to judge for themselves.

The book will be of specific value to those who have an interest in the British 8th and 32nd Divisions, German 38th Division, the Third Ypres offensive or the Passchendaele area in general. It will also be of lasting value as an exemplary work for budding historians.

A final word. Helion & Company has produced a very nice artefact in this book. It is printed on high quality paper, with clear maps and photographs. There are a few minor typographical errors but nothing to complain about. I have today seen the book on sale for as little as £13 – a ridiculously low price. It seems that readers will certainly be able to buy it for less than £30, and for a work of this quality that is a snip. Take note, academic publishers: this is how to do it.

Just finished reading this and as per previous posts can thoroughly recommend 'A Moonlight Massacre' to anyone.

Top marks to Michael LoCicero for content and Helion for presentation.

On my to read pile, looking forward to reading it given these two reviews.

Andy

Cheapest I've seen is £15.01 plus postage, so half the publishers price.That's one of the alternative sellers on Amazon.

Naval & Military Press have it as an 'introductory offer' at £13...

James

Based on reviews here I have ordered it this afternoon from N&M at £12.99 plus postage.

Regards

Peter

I have passed on James's and Chris's reviews to Michael, I am sure he will appreciate them.

By chance I bought a copy at Foyles just before this thread appeared. Payed the full £30 but I can live with that. I have a 14/15 Trio to one of the men killed in this action hence my particular interest in a battle I know very little about so I will read with interest but it is third in my queue now.

TT

Just finished reading this and as per previous posts can thoroughly recommend 'A Moonlight Massacre' to anyone.

Top marks to Michael LoCicero for content and Helion for presentation.

Please change your font, I can't read it on my iPad!

Roger

Out of interest (I know very little of Third Ypres and nothing about the action in question), which Formations and Units were involved in this? It's not clear (so far as I can see) from any reviews or comments.

Steven,

At a battalion level, the following (from north to south, per the map in the book):

15th Lancs Fusiliers

17th Highland Light Infantry

11th Border Reg

16th HLI

16th Northumberland Fusiliers

2nd KOYLI

2nd Rifle Brigade

2nd Lincolnshire

1st Royal Irish Rifles

2nd Royal Berkshire

In reserve, 2nd West Yorkshire.

James

The reviews are a real endorsement. The 'look inside' preview on Amazon shows some remarkable detail in the footnotes. Always a clincher. Just ordered. Thanks for flagging this and for the reviews. Extremely helpful. MG

D'oh.

Sorry.

Steven,

At a battalion level, the following (from north to south, per the map in the book):

15th Lancs Fusiliers

17th Highland Light Infantry

11th Border Reg

16th HLI

16th Northumberland Fusiliers

2nd KOYLI

2nd Rifle Brigade

2nd Lincolnshire

1st Royal Irish Rifles

2nd Royal Berkshire

In reserve, 2nd West Yorkshire.

James

Ta. Had I read Chris's review more carefully, I would have worked that out.

:blush::blush::blush:

• 2 months later...

Finally finished this, it is a very well researched and absorbing book covering an action little known to most. I can thoroughly recommend this book and must admit to having spent a long time to try and absorb as much of the information as possible, finding that I had to go to the sources in the footnotes to read a little more.

Congratulations to the author Michael and to Helion & Company on a well produced book.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Finally finished this, it is a very well researched and absorbing book covering an action little known to most. I can thoroughly recommend this book and must admit to having spent a long time to try and absorb as much of the information as possible, finding that I had to go to the sources in the footnotes to read a little more.

Congratulations to the author Michael and to Helion & Company on a well produced book.

Andy

Couldn't agree more. I finished reading it a couple of days ago. While the operation was planned in detail the idea of advancing over snow covered ground in the light of a full moon with no preparatory bombardment was at best ill advised and at worst a disaster. The latter was the result despite the protestations of the Brigade Commanders involved when initially tasked with the operation.

The book also describes the nightmare of maintaining communications across a battlefield, the condition of which can scarcely be imagined even with the descriptions given in the text, and the attempts to ascertain accurate intelligence and information once the attack was underway. The further attempts to achieve the original aim after the attack had stalled are tragic.

Just picked this up for all of two pence (yes really) off Amazon Marketplace. Definitely looking forward to this one!

• 2 years later...

Not so much a book review - although I did read it a little over a year ago and would agree that it's an excellent account, highly recommended - but I attended MIchael's talk on the operation at the Worcester & Hereford branch of the WFA last night. Again, highly recommended if it comes to a village hall near you. In a little over an hour, Michael gave the background to, and the details of, the ill-fated attack. Delivered with authority and not a little humour, I found the talk thoroughly absorbing. Unfortunately, personal reasons meant that I missed the Q&A session afterwards but I would suggest you try and catch Michael if he repeats his talk in your area.

• 2 months later...

I not quite finished this book (which I find absolutely absorbing for all sorts of reasons) but I'm stuck with a question: why is the NZ attack near Polderhoek Chateau included? It isn't near the 32/8 div attack and it seems to me to be sort of 'stuck on'. 

I hope someone can sort this one out for me....

Hello,

The Polderhoek attack was done at the same time and had a similar goal (local improvement of the front line), so both attacks are quite similar. It makes it interesting to compare them thus in the book.

Jan