The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Book Recommandations: Great War 1914-18 & Westfront 1914

PreußensGlanz

Good day gentlemen,

I'm searching for recommendations for books or book series's that cover the entire First World War in English or German.

So what is regarded as a "must have" book/book series that covers the complete war?

Only big work I found so far is what seems to be the official German work for the First World War called "Der Weltkrieg 1914 bis 1918", online available here:

http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/resolver?urn=urn:nbn:at:AT-OOeLB-1155545

And the next recommendations I search is for books or book series's that focus on the events of the Westfront in 1914, preferably a work that also adequately covers everything besides the hotspots like the Battle of the Marne, Mons, etc..

Again I ask is there something considered a "must have" book/book series to cover this time & area?

Cheers

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, this has been discussed before and there is a sub forum on book reviews and also on the parent site the Long Long Trail (link top right).

It's not clear from your post whether you are looking for an introduction to the conflict in one volume or whether you are doing more detailed research, nor is it clear how deep your pockets are.

The Official History is available as reprints from Naval and Military Press. As for a 'must have' book earlier texts have been discredited by revisionist historians, the Marxists have had a go and there are countless memoirs and battlefield guides. As for the 'hotspots' they have been studied in detail because of their importance to the conduct of the war. There are also many books describing the experience of the soldiers on the Western Front. As an idea of the scale of your question I just picked up a one volume history of the war that was to hand (Stevenson 2004) and his bibliography runs to 44 pages!

As a flavour as to what is available why not browse the Naval and Military press website and see what is currently in publication. http://www.naval-military-press.com

Ken

I doubt any of them are 'must have books' as each brings a different perspective to the war, but you might consider the following single volume histories in English:

1914-1918: The History of the First World War by David Stevenson (2004);

The First World War by John Keegan (1998);

A History of the Great War by C.R.M.F Cruttwell (1934); and

The Great War 1914-1918 by Cyril Falls (1959)

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the list Chris. I am missing both the Crutwell and the Falls so will remedy that.

Hazel

Super. Thanks Chris.

Hazel

Cyril Falls history has just been republished by Pen & Sword in the UK, and is available in KIndle format, but used copies may be cheaper, There is a Kindle version of Crutwell available at about £1.80, but it's a rather poor conversion, and I wouldn't bother, although it is dirt-cheap. For some reason, the front cover image is of US Marines in training in the early '40s!

Hi,

Just my offerings, for what it’s worth:

David Stevenson 1914-1918.

John Keegan The First World War.

Martin Gilbert First World War.

Correlli Barnet The Great War [based on the classic television series].

Nial Ferguson The Pity of War .

As mentioned by Chris, the definition of ‘Must Have’ varies from person to person.

Regards

Peter

In German I can recommend the Enzyklopädie Erster Weltkrieg (new edition 2014) edited by Gerhard Hirschfeld, Gerd Krumeich and Irina Renz, published by UTB.

It's not a "history" as such but a very valuable source of information on a great many topics (listed alphabetically) with well over 1000 pages - at €49.99 not exactly cheap, but nevertheless good value for money.

Cheers

Colin

• Admin

As mentioned by Chris, the definition of ‘Must Have’ varies from person to person.

Stevenson seems to be on everyone's list tho!

Ken

Stevenson seems to be on everyone's list tho!

Ken

.............and Keegan as well, perhaps. What I deem as 'must have' may not be the same as someone else's list of 'must have'; must have is a personal choice or selection I suspect.

Regards

Peter

Although I have probably outgrown it now, the first history I read was Gilbert and I loved it. I would certainly recommend it to someone who knows little about the war as it is easy reading. Can't recommend his book on the Somme though. It is kind of potted in a disjointed fashion, from his history, and I didn't like it.

Hazel

Oh dear! After reading Paul's post I went back to Amazon.ca to check what I had purchased. I bought the Cruttwell book for $3.55, but on rechecking I see there is another kindle version there for $9.99, and they BOTH have the same cover. Of course I had no idea who the soldiers on the cover were in any case! I guess we shall see what we shall see!

Hazel

Well, I discovered the first problem. The font size is not changeable, which I have never seen before! VERY VERY small.

H

Cyril Falls history has just been republished by Pen & Sword in the UK, and is available in KIndle format, but used copies may be cheaper, There is a Kindle version of Crutwell available at about £1.80, but it's a rather poor conversion, and I wouldn't bother, although it is dirt-cheap. For some reason, the front cover image is of US Marines in training in the early '40s!

In fact, the copy was so bad I called Amazon, and they say they have withdrawn it as the font really cannot be changed. It was like reading a medicine bottle, so I guess the less expensive Kindle copy can be different!

Hazel

Actually I had no idea Der Weltkrieg had been digitalised so thanks for posting that!

Since you seem to have an interest in the German side of things as well, I really like Holger Herwig, The First World War. He gives a narrative of the whole war with a focus on German operations so you get coverage of both fronts. Some of his conclusions may be a little dated. Its been a while since I read it myself but I think it still holds up.

@kenf48

Thanks for pointing me to the review section on the "Long Long Trail" I will work through that.

I will also got through the Naval and Military press, all the volumes about the official history look interesting.

My aim currently is for a more detailed insight into the whole conflict and an even more detailed look into the Westfront 1914, while I don't mind something as introduction I think something that goes beyond it would be better.

In regards to what it should be, to be honest I don't care if it's a single volume or a series of volumes as long as it is good, same counts for the money, if it's worth it I don't mind to pay for it.

@Crunchy, fellop, Wigwhammer, alougheed

Thanks to all for your recommendations, they will surely prove useful.