The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

East Lancs Frevent gas school

Guest slarty

Hi

I have memoirs written by my grandfather James Billingon Slater, b 7/2/1890 in Blackburn, Lancs.

He details that he served in the E Lancs Regiment. He was called up to report to Fulwood barracks in preston on 17/5/1916 and from there sent to Plymouth. After training he was promoted to a L/Corp and sent on further training still in Devon. His fellow draftees were sent to the far east.

In Dec 1916 he went to france and was in the line. Before the battle of Arras in April 1917 he was sent to a gas school in Frevent were he served out the rest of the war, meanwhile he laments the decimation of his unit at the battle of Vimy Ridge on 5/4/1917.

Does anyone have any information, ideally on James Slater or failing that, on the likely units he served in? He does not mention any unit Nos.

Thanks in advance

Sean Slater

Sean:

Welcome to The Forum.

Tried to do the 1901 census for you-wound up with

3 possibilities-any other info on your grandad(parents,brothers,sisters)?

gordon

Well you probably already have this information, but just in case you don't...

John Thomas Slater, age 30, born Catterall, a paper finisher

Ellen Slater, 28, born Feniscowles

Emma Atkinson Slater, 4, born Blackburn

Annie Slater, 3, born Feniscowles, Livesey

James Billington Slater, 1, born Feniscowles, Livesey,

living at 55 West Street, Livesey, at the time of the 1891 census.

Perhaps other forum members can now help fill in a bit more with war related stuff.

Margaret

Thanks for the replies. I have details of the family, including various certificates. Thanks for the 1891 census, I only had the ones either side! I am looking for more Army related stuff on my Grandfather. It is my Father's 85th Birthday in January & I hope to present him with a dossier of as much family history as I can. My Dad had an interest but unfortunately never really knew were to start.

Couplr of other bits on information that may help: James Slater was a sergeant before his discharge. How common was it for a 'Working chap' to be made up to that rank? could he have got higher?

He details that he served in the E Lancs Regiment. He was called up to report to Fulwood barracks in preston on 17/5/1916 and from there sent to Plymouth. After training he was promoted to a L/Corp and sent on further training still in Devon. His fellow draftees were sent to the far east.

In Dec 1916 he went to france and was in the line. Before the battle of Arras in April 1917 he was sent to a gas school in Frevent were he served out the rest of the war, meanwhile he laments the decimation of his unit at the battle of Vimy Ridge on 5/4/1917.

Does anyone have any information, ideally on James Slater or failing that, on the likely units he served in? He does not mention any unit Nos.

Sean.

If your grandfather was sent to Plymouth, he would have been with the 3rd Bn East Lancs for training (Plymouth was the "war station" for this reserve battalion.It's HQ was at Laira Battery. They were also billeted at Plympton).

If he was still in the ELR and his unit were at Vimy Ridge (9th April, not the 5th), he would have been in either the 1st Bn or the 8th Bn. However, neither of these were "decimated" this day (in fact the History deccribes the casualties to the 1st Bn as "very slight").

Hope this is of some help.

Dave.

(PS. His regimental number was 22400)

James Slater was a sergeant before his discharge. How common was it for a 'Working chap' to be made up to that rank? could he have got higher?

Very common. Most sergeants were "Working chaps" in civilian life. And yes, he could have got higher (My Gt.Uncle, in the 11/East Lancs. ended up a CQMS). Many got higher and were commissioned. A few (not all that many) made it to Warrant Officer level, but many of these had previous service.

Dave.