The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Understanding The Somme 1916 - Scotland & Heys

berty199

Hi all

Has anyone read this book by Thomas Scotland & Steven Heys which was published last year?

If so, is it any good?

Thanks

Martin

Many thanks Jack, I'll have a look

Regards

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

Just finished reading this wonderful little gem. Though it doesn't necessarily add much in terms of historical information that's not available elsewhere this is of no consequence, since such is not the purpose of the book. It's clearly a labour of love by two gents who understand the Somme and have a deep affection for and affinity with the area. As a guidebook, it is very well set-out, nicely written and profusely illustrated with some superb panoramic contemporary photographs of the battlefield taken from multiple viewpoints. I've been to the Somme on around a dozen occasions (though am far from an expert on the area) but will make sure that a copy of this book is tucked into my rucksack the next time that I'm there!

Andy

Many thanks for your response Andy

I'll go & grab myself a copy

Regards

Martin

• 1 year later...

Have just finished reading this book, which has been in my "to read pile" for sometime. May i agree with Andy an excellent little book. Nothing new but that isn't the point, it brings together a lot of information into a concise and extremely readable form. The clearly annotated photographs will add much to any battlefield tour. It has certainly helped me to bring a number of "facts" which I knew into their geographical and time context. It will certainly be in my rucksack on the next trip. 

As I mentioned last year, I reviewed this book in some detail on the FB  Great War Book Review page in January 2015. I am afraid that my conclusion was, and remains, that it is 'nearly excellent'. It represents a huge amount of work, but it is littered with inaccuracies and errors, many of which are quite elementary and something which guidebook writers are duty bound to avoid. I shall not go into detail again - the review is still there to be read. All I would say is use it for the good bits, but do not trust it uncritically.

Jack