The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt J.R. Aspden MM

rmtruby

I was wondering whether anyone can help me find out more information about Sgt J. R. Aspden was awarded the Military Medal in March 1918, when he was also wounded. He served with the RE. I don't know anything about how he gained his MM, or in which theatre of war he was serving. Any information would be useful.

His brother William Aspden volunteered for the army when he was 16. However I have no information about which regiment he served in. All I know is that they were from the north-west.

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray

Chances are it would have been in Operation Michael.

Have you got his Medal card to see what unit he was in mate? If not, so here http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1 & pay £3.50...

"Description Medal card of Aspden, J R

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 442360 Serjeant

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection "

Thanks very much for the swift reply.

Ray

As for William, the 8 choices are here:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...=1&mediaarray=*

A good Op michael overview can be seen here http://www.1914-1918.net/bat22.htm but the Medal card will confirm what theatre the Sarge was in. If its '1a' its France & Flanders, which means itll be Op Michael.

And of course, pop any questions on here & someone will know what theyre talking about Im sure!!

Good luck Ray

Steve

Welcome mate

Thinking on a bit further, the Battalion Medal Rolls & War diary may have extra info (for both of the guys). The Times gazette should have a mention of his MM, but im not too up on the times personally, so couldnt say for sure - sorry. the 1901 cencus may help with corroboration (sp?!) when it comes to William too ...

Could have said this in one post really, but the old noggin's a bit groggy today :rolleyes: !

Ray:

Here's a possibility from the 1901 census:

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Gertrude Alice Aspden 3 Manchester, Lancashire, England Daughter Moss Side Lancashire

John Rawstorne Aspden 33 Manchester, Lancashire, England Head Moss Side Lancashire

John Rawstorne Aspden 9 Manchester, Lancashire, England Son Moss Side Lancashire

Lucy Aspden 7 Manchester, Lancashire, England Daughter Moss Side Lancashire

Raechel Aspden 31 Manchester, Lancashire, England Wife Moss Side Lancashire

William Aspden 2 Manchester, Lancashire, England Son Moss Side Lancashire

Sarah Ann Lach 24 Manchester, Lancashire, England Sister-in-law Moss Side Lancashire

Thanks very much for the information so far.

I have spoken to the great grandson of the Sergeant and he has confirmed that he was called John Rawsthorne Aspden. It is highly likely that that the two John Rawsthorne Aspdens from the 1901 census were father and son.

I will also check out the information on Op Michael from the Great War Forum website.

Thanks again,

Ray

Ray,

He was awarded the MM in the London Gazette 30768, 21 June 1918, Page 9 of 16. Unfortunately Military Medal Citations were not published. The listing is at this link.

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/archiveVie...&selHonourType=

Rgds

Tim D

Oops. I mean 25th June 1918. There other Aspden's with gallantry awards and most of them seem to be from Lancashire. Relations perhaps?

Rgds

Tim

Thanks very much for the replies so far. I've attached a photo of William (left) and J.R. Aspden (right).

Could anyone confirm which regiment William belonged to?

Thanks

Ray

post-1-1099843588.jpg

Ray,

Looks like the Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Which may make him this man.

Medal card of Aspden, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

East Kent Regiment G/25530 Private

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

Rgds

Tim

Thanks very much for the information. A very useful lead.

Thanks

Ray

Ray

Sgt Aspden's number is one of a block allocated to 429 Field Company RE when the TF were re-numbered in 1917. This was formerly 1/3rd (East Lancs) Field Company, part of the 42 (East Lancs) Division. However he is listed in the History of the East Lancs Royal Engineers as winning his MM with 66 Divisional Engineers which was a second line TF division, comprising of 430, 431 and 432 Field Coys.

Until March 1917 the 42nd East Lancs Div served in Gallipoli and Egypt and were sent to the Western Front the same month. The 66th (East Lancs) Div Engineers also arrived in France in 1917.

There are a couple of likely scenarios for Sgt Apsden. Firstly he served with 429 Field Coy in the middle east, was wounded and then trnsferred to 66 Div Engineers, in which case he would be the holder of the 1914/15 Star, or that he was simply tranferred to 66 Div Engineers perhaps as an experienced NCO.

His MM was gazetted on 25th June 1918, in issue number 30768 and shows that he came from Manchester.

Terry Reeves

Thanks for the extremely useful information. This will really please his great grandson, on whose behalf I'm doing this research.

Thanks,

Ray