The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cecil Dent, Manchester Regiment

rmtruby

Could anyone help me find out whether Cecil Dent, of the Manchester Regiment was taken prisoner in 1916?

Thanks

Ray

Please find attached a picture of Frank (left) and Cecil Dent (right). I believe they were both in the Manchesters. Could anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Ray

post-1-1099844179.jpg

Ray.

They certainly were in the Manchesters. They both have the "Pals" style badges and what looks like the "City" shoulder titles.

Actually, they were both in the 17th Battalion Manc.Regt, both in B Coy and Frank was in VII Platoon, while Cecil was in V Platoon. Franks number was 8519, and Cecils was 8514.

Dave.

Did I hear the call for a 17th Mancs expert?

Ray - I can only think of one reference, in 1916, to prisoners being taken and that was at Trones Wood 9 - 11 July 1916.

A party of about 40 under Lt Callan-McArdle was holding a position in the north of the wood and orders to withdraw did not reach them. All were reported to have been captured or killed.

The significance is that I know McArdle was a "B" Company officer. Names of "other ranks" are not mentioned. Is there something that makes you think he might have been taken?

John

Thanks very much for some brilliant, quality information.

Ray