The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MEDAL ROLLS ONLINE

Guest Dolores

On another forum someone posted the fact that she had abtained medal details (WW1) re an ancestor online from the National Archives. I asked how she had done it and she hasn't answered. You are all probably more au fait than me with searching the PRO, I find it rather difficult to navigate - can you give me tips please?

:ph34r:

Hi Dolores & welcome to the forum :D

What info do you have on your guy please? You never know, someone may be able to help put some extra info your way??

Same applies if you download his Medal card; pop what you have on here & someone will help out in some way Im sure.

Good luck

Steve

I have just had a look at the online "Medal Index Card" facility by the PRO, and would be interested to know what the .pdf file looks like, and what kind of information is given ? Is it a copy of a WW1-era document, or a present/modern listing ?

Thanks.

ACR

I have just had a look at the online "Medal Index Card" facility by the PRO, and would be interested to know what the .pdf file looks like, and what kind of information is given ? Is it a copy of a WW1-era document, or a present/modern listing ?

Thanks.

ACR

It's a (heavily)"digitalised" copy of the original document.

Dave.

Thanks.

ACR

It's a (heavily)"digitalised" copy of the original document.

Dave.

Here's an example of one (you get 6 on the sheet, not just the one).

Dave.

post-1-1099873827.jpg

Dave............that's great, and it gives more info. on the subject than I was expecting, so I reckon a download is worth the cost.

Can you tell me if the medal listing signifies that the medals were actually issued/sent out to the soldier/family, or just what they were eligible for ??

Slainte, Alan

Alan

Campaign medals for Other Ranks were sent automatically and the MICs sometimes have notes if they were returned etc.

Officers had to claim their medals (unless they were casualties when they were sent automatically).

One of our MIC experts should be able to help with the exact details here

The simple answer is - you won't!

You will have to check all the possible names and even then you will not be sure (some names are missing) if you do not have a definite number or name.