The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Identification help please

lnicho01

This photo of Albine Nicholson back row 2nd right. He was born 1888 in Nottingham and other than that we have no idea what his regiment was and why they are wearing slough hats. If anyone can help it would solve a mystery. He survived the war and dies young in 1934. kind regards Lyn

post-119773-0-30130700-1423193690_thumb.

Can you post a larger file? a 6.44kb file is tiny. You can post a photo up to 250kb.

It might help.

John

Checked the AIF service records - not on there. With a name like Albine would have thought it would be easy to trace him but not so far. Ralph.

Although a small image, my guess is that it shows some lads from either a Volunteer Battalion, if before 1908, or if after, a Territorial Force Battalion from a unit that wore Rifle Green. The slouch hat was the official field dress headwear from 1902 until the phased issue of peaked forage caps that began in 1905, but took some years to complete.

The soldiers shown are clearly at the annual summer training camp under canvas that was the popular obligation of the part-time units that I mentioned. It was at these annual get-togethers that they qualified for their annual cash bounty payment. If he was from Not tingham he was probably in the Rifles themed battalion of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) Regiment. They were known as the 7th (Robin Hood) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts&Derby) Regiment. You can see and read about them here: http://www.therobinhoods.org.uk/ I would date the photo to 1906.

There are also some photos here: https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/7th-battalion/ You will see that before khaki was issed they were still wearing dark green. To mark their Rifle regiment origins they continued to wear black buttons.

I agree

Could very well be the Robin Hood Rifles (if Nottingham) - but a blow up picture would be good

A few 'slouch hat' pictures from the Derbyshire Volunteers for comparison

post-4619-0-53092600-1423243483_thumb.jp

Can you post a larger file? a 6.44kb file is tiny. You can post a photo up to 250kb.

It might help.

John

will try, but this pic took me ages, kept saying file too big. Lyn

I agree

Could very well be the Robin Hood Rifles (if Nottingham) - but a blow up picture would be good

A few 'slouch hat' pictures from the Derbyshire Volunteers for comparison

attachicon.gifslouch hats.jpg

Thanks so much, will try a bigger pic, but not my forte, this one took forever to get on. Lyn

Although a small image, my guess is that it shows some lads from either a Volunteer Battalion, if before 1908, or if after, a Territorial Force Battalion from a unit that wore Rifle Green. The slouch hat was the official field dress headwear from 1902 until the phased issue of peaked forage caps that began in 1905, but took some years to complete.

The soldiers shown are clearly at the annual summer training camp under canvas that was the popular obligation of the part-time units that I mentioned. It was at these annual get-togethers that they qualified for their annual cash bounty payment. If he was from Not tingham he was probably in the Rifles themed battalion of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) Regiment. They were known as the 7th (Robin Hood) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts&Derby) Regiment. You can see and read about them here: http://www.therobinhoods.org.uk/ I would date the photo to 1906.

There are also some photos here: https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/7th-battalion/ You will see that before khaki was issed they were still wearing dark green. To mark their Rifle regiment origins they continued to wear black buttons.

Thanks heaps, will try the links, picture that you see, took ages to figure, but will persevere to see if I can get it larger. Lyn

And again

0UCouoG.jpg?1

vlPjEa9.jpg?1

None of these images can be seen Jules?

Trying again. Was fine yesterday!! Removed by hosting site it seems???

Probably. It is usually better to post the photo directly in the forum.

Jules

In the meantime, what other information do you have?

Medals, family history, memorabilia etc?

Everything helps, even if YOU don't know it!

Have no info at all, just the photo, we know he was born in 1888, and looking at the photo he could be 17 or 18 at youngest, which makes photo around 1905 onwards. The number on the photo is 1110 by Welchman photographers of Retford, Nottinghamshire. let me know if photo I sent as email is better. kind regards Belinda (Lyn)

I think that from 1899 onwards the Notts Volunteers and Derby Volunteers took part in Brigade Camps as follows

post-4619-0-77261800-1423467183_thumb.jp

I've not come across the photographer before, but they did travel to Camps when necessary.

cheersMike

Probably. It is usually better to post the photo directly in the forum.

Strangely the OP file sent to me as attachment wouldn't compress by my usual route so went for a host site.

Now the host site has removed the image and will not load again but fine with other different files?!

have sent hard copies in the mail, hopefully this will resolve issues with it being taken off site, and a much better photo can be loaded. once again thanks heaps for all your help, really appreciate it. Belinda

have sent hard copies in the mail, hopefully this will resolve issues with it being taken off site, and a much better photo can be loaded. once again thanks heaps for all your help, really appreciate it. Belinda

It will make a big difference when a decent sized image can be loaded Belinda. A date of around 1907 is most likely as after the TF were formed in 1908 all regiments began to wear khaki when in the field, albeit with black buttons if the unit had a secondary title reflecting their rifles origin.

Need some slack with this 'cos although the image is not WWI there is connection to the subject of OP which is.

Looks to me like recruit training squad. Opinions especially on the cap badge please.

post-40034-0-02319700-1423952879_thumb.j

post-40034-0-56636700-1423952901_thumb.j

The larger images of the slouch hats show it is not a Sherwood Foresters (Notts&Derby) volunteer battalion. There appears to be a star-shaped, felt patch behind the cap badge, which latter is also probably star shaped. That feature makes likely units such as; East Surreys, East Yorkshire, Worcestershire and Cheshire Regiments, all of which wore a similar, star-shaped badge. As these are locally recruited, citizen based 'Volunteer' units, do any of those Counties feature in family history Belinda?

The WW2 photo shows brown plastic cap badges, probably of General Service Corps (i.e. Royal Coat of Arms) type.

Albine and his family were all Nottingham based, so not sure about the other counties. The WW2 photo is again a Nottingham/Derbyshire based family, but who know where they travelled to during the war. Freds father was Notts and Derby as well as Royal Scots Fusileers and he served in India for a few years. Cheers Belinda

The Welchman archive is online here if you want to try some comparative searches:

http://www.bassetlawmuseum.org.uk/index.asp?page=welchman

I can't get the search to work on the reference, but it may be worth contacting Bassetlaw Museum in Retford.

Steve.

ALREADY BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT, HAD A BIT OF INFO BUT NOT ENOUGH TO IDENTIFY, AND IF ITS NOT NOTTS AND DERBYS WE ARE BACK TO SQUARE ONE. BUT THAT IS WHAT MAKE SEARCHING SO INTERESTING AND THE KNOWLEDGE YOU FOLK HAVE IS IMMENSE, SO IT ALL HELPS, CHEERS bELINDA