The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Army of the Rhine

carndook

My grandfather was in the Seaforth Highlanders. Many years ago he told me about the beauty of Cologne Cathedral. As far as I'm aware, the only time he was abroad was when he served in the Great War.

Does anyone know how I can find out if served in Germany?

Hi,

I'm sure if you post his name plus regimental number and any other information you have such as place and date of birth etc some helpful members will assist.

You may even find his name in the lists in this topic.

Good Luck

Steve Y

Thanks for that Tullybrone. I don't have my grandfathers service number. His name was Robert McKnight and he was born in Glasgow in 1899. On the reverse of hs birth certificate is an Army Recruitment Office stamp dated 25 January 1917. Would a Medal Card give the information I require?

Where was he born and where did he reside?

Is there a location given on the ARO stamp?

Dave

carndook

From reading some Divisional pages in the Long Long Trail (top left of this page) it indicates that 1/4 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders were chosen from elements of 51 (Highland) Division to join the Army of Occupation on the Rhine. No reference to other SH units joining in there.

The other night I was reading the war diary of a siege battery (I can't remember which one) and there was a list of officers and men who volunteered to remain in the service and join one of the siege batteries who were designated to serve in the occupation army in Germany. This would seem to imply that, at least for the RGA, that the siege batteries that went to Germany were made up of volunteers from numerous siege batteries rather than with those who served with them through the war.

Thanks for this sotonmate. I'll have to take my time in studying it. I don't find the National Archives a user friendly site. It sends me round in circles.

I posted the link but you can't see anything because the Diary is not yet digital ! It's just a target for your use if you want to find the make-up of the Rhine Army for 1919,and this would mean either you visiting,someone looking for you,or paying big heaps for the NA to copy it and send it.

• 1 month later...

The British Army of Occupation did not leave the Rhine area until 1929. The British Official History covering that period implies that the Germans were quite sorry to see them go. They had had better relations with the British than with the French, and they would have brought a measure of stability and prosperity in the difficult economic conditions of 1920s Germany.

Ron

The British Army of Occupation did not leave the Rhine area until 1929. The British Official History covering that period implies that the Germans were quite sorry to see them go. They had had better relations with the British than with the French, and they would have brought a measure of stability and prosperity in the difficult economic conditions of 1920s Germany.

Ron

Ron, the British Official history might be a bit one-eyed on this subject. I have studied the occupation of the Rhineland with special concentration on Köln and Wahn. The German population was very much relieved and glad to see all the occupiers leave the Rhineland.

But---- you are right, all the local town archives I could study some years ago, confirm that the British occupation forces in general were respectful, helpful, disciplined to the contrast of the hatred French and even more Belgium forces here in the Rhineland. In general Brits and Germans had good relationships. The arcived local papers from Wahn, today a suburb of Köln, which fell then into the Belgium jurisdiction was full of problematic issues to include documented cases of 'inappropriate approach' to married local women. Also the histories are full of illegal commandeering. Some few km away where the Brits reigned in and around Köln, the situation was much much better. Towards the end of the occupation the Brits were even incorporated into the different local "Vereins"-life.

Keep in mind that the young belgian soldiers had stayed 4 years in german occupied territories... and in no way enjoyed the stay of their "non-invited hosts"!

They never forgot the days of the invasion in 1914! (remember "the Rape of Belgium"). And believe me, life was not easy under German rule (so said my grands-parents: farmers had to give up their crops, the cattle was "commandeered" and never paid for, and even young men were sent to Germany to work for the war industries!

My late mother in law was born in 1923 when her father, a conscript, was with the 10th Rgt de Ligne in the Ruhr... where he had been deported for 2 years , with his brother, in 1916! He was then no volunteer, and had to work like a slave, and starved!

When the german governement tried not to pay the war debts, French and Belgian governements sent their troops to seize the incomes from the Ruhr industry to pay for the debts..

Northern France and Flanders in Belgium were just rubbles to be reconstructed. All industry tools had been stolen and sent to Germany. "Right of Conquest" they said...

And, dixit Milton Keynes,if the German economy collapsed, Britain woud also take the plunge; so, britain did not support the move of their allies... Which was one of the reasons Hitler took the chance to reoccupy the Rhineland in 1935, knowing that the French, without British support, will not react... Then, he re-instated the conscription, and rearmed Germany for another european tour!

Good show, boys!