The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gloucester Newspapers

Blackblue

I reside in Australia and wondered if anyone could assist. I have seen some great results with searches of local newspapers recently on the forum.

Does anyone form the Gloucester area know how I would go about having the locals papers for the Quedgeley area searched for information on my grandfather 24068 Pte Albert George Dawe, 9th (Service) Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. He was born at Redmarley and lived at Quedgeley for most of his life but was working at Blaisdon Hall near the Forest of Dean when he joined up.

He enlisted in Gloucester in September 1914 as cavalry and was posted to the 5th Dragoon Guards. He was posted to the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers at Gallipoli as a reinforcement. I know he was badly wounded a couple of times and I wanted to see if there was any mention of him in the local papers.

Rgds

Tim Dawe

Hi Tim

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/index.jsp

There are a few local newspapers in Gloucester, this is the link to The Citizen which is the main daily covering the area that you are interested in. You can contact them by email, the link is to the left of the page that I am sending the link for. There also used to be a weekly paper "The Gloucestershire Journal" but that ceased a few years ago.

Thanks a lot Dolores. I have sent them an e-mail.

Rgds

Tim

Tim

The Vicar of Quedgeley - Rev. Geoff Stickland - is actualy compiling information on Quedgeley War Memorial for a memorial book. He may be able to supply you with further information and you may help him. He can be contacted at geoffstickland @ hotmail.com

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave. I have sent him an e-mail. My grandfather survived the war. If I lived over there I would have already done this research. Don't suppose you know anyone else from the area who trolls through the local papers regularly?

Rgds

Tim