The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Marine Artillery?

mikebriggs

Dear Forum

I have recently aquired a trench map of the Kemmel sector (April 1917). Interestingly written in pencil is "4th R.M.A" and several numbered sites spread over 1000 square yards. They are about 6000 yrds behind the front line north east of Kemmel.

Can I assume that this refers to Royal Marine Artillery ?

I have been unable to find anything refering to the 4th, could this be a battery/brigade?.

I am going to the PRO later this month - any pointers would be gratefully accepted

thanks

Hello Mike, and welcome to the forum

RMA usually does stand for Royal Marine Artillery.

In October 1914 the RMA had been reorganised to provide two artillery brigades for the Western Front. One of these became an anti-aircraft unit, but the second was equipped with 12 heavy 15" howitzers to form the RM Howitzer Brigade. The Brigade totalled around 1,000 all ranks, but never fought as a complete unit. The huge howitzers were deployed as single units along the front line. 4th would, I imagine, have been one of these units.

I have done some work in the past on the 11th, if that would be of any use to anyone.

Welcome Mike. You're not Dr. Mike Briggs with an interest in Chesterfield Sherwoods are you?