The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Haslett MC look up?

Desmond7

Dear folks ... on the scrounge again!

I need a citation for the MC awarded to 2nd Lt. Thomas Sinclair Haslett of the Royal Irish Rifles. It was awarded for an action prior to November 1916 and I think it may well be 1st July.

London Gazette does my head in .. simply can't work the thing. Anyone with the cryptographer's touch who can break the secret code?

Much appreciated any information re this citation.

Des

london gazette 25th nov. 1916 page 11537

temp. 2nd lt thomas sinclair haslett, r. ir. rif.

for conspicuous gallantry in action. he led a daring raid with great courage and skill, himself killing the enemy sentry and capturing three prisoners. he set a splendid example to his men.

good morning des

I have had the same problem Des.

But this one was simple. Used 'Thomas Sinclair Haslett'. London Gazette 29837, 24 November 1916, Page 9 of 36.

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/archiveVie...&selHonourType=

Temp. 2nd Lt. Thomas Sinclair Haslett, R.Ir.Rif.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led a daring raid with great courage and skill, himself killing the enemy sentry and capturing three prisoners. He set a splendid example to his men.

Rgds

Tim

Many thanks to you guys for the quick reply.

Now, can anyone tell me if the date of the incident will be recorded anywhere? With a raid being the context, I can't see it being July 1 .... any ballpark figure between recommendation for a gallantry award and final confirmation. A matter of months?

Once again many thanks.

Here he is.

post-1-1099833278.jpg

You're not far wrong. 19 at time of award , 20 when he died at Cambrai.

Lieutenant T. S. Haslett

Lt. Thomas Sinclair Haslett, MC, Royal Irish Rifles (Ulster Division), killed in action on November 22, 1917 was the eldest son of the Rev. Thomas Haslett of First Presbyterian Church, Ballymena. He was 20 years of age and was educated at the Ballymena Academy, Campbell College and Foyle College.

Joining the army in 1915, Lt. Haslett was posted to the 17th Btn. Royal Irish Rifles at Ballykinlar and on a arrival at the front in the summer of 1916 was detailed to one of the Belfast Battalions of that regiment.

Lt. Haslett played for Ulster in the Schools Inter-Provincial in two succeeding years and was one of the most promising halfs in Ireland. He was a playing member of Ballymena Cricket Club.

Ballymena Observer. November 30, 1917

Des

I have tried to find the date of an action for which a decoration was awarded to no avail Des. War diaries and unit history are your best bet if there are no service papers I believe.

Rgds

Tim

Cheers Tim! Thanks to all for their interest .... onwards and upwards.

Des