The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What a wonderful gift!

jscott

Some family friends were cleaning out their loft recently when they found a dusty set of books that they were keen to get rid of. Fortunately they knew that I was interested in the great war and they ended up passing them on to me. A full set of CEW Bean's Official History of Australia in the War 1914-1918 in their original protective cases as sent out by the Australian War memorial!

Almost certainly the finest present I have ever received - I'm looking forward to working my way through them.

Cheers, Jonathan

post-55285-0-14918800-1424494126_thumb.j

That is special.

keith

Superb score Jonathan, enjoy the light reading! And remember, Bean was right about those machine guns at Anzac!

You won the lottery.

Ian

Wow Jonathan, you have certainly done well. I picked up a single 1st Edition last year in a second-hand shop and was really happy with that.!

It was the Sinai and Palestine story which was of particular interest to me. They will take some reading though. Luckily I like looking at maps.!

Don't get much time for reading, but am always looking at those full sets at the Militaria fairs. Never seen anything like yours in cases though. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Nice set. Full sets do come up in the distribution boxes and command a slight premium. I suggest you store the volume on top upright and properly.

Now to get the four Medical Volumes!

Thanks all - I feel very fortunate to have picked them up. They aren't first editions, but all date to 1942, and are the editions in force at that date. I will keep an eye peeled for the medical volumes but suspect ill have enough light reading to keep me occupied for some time to come!

The illustration volume is on the far right, and the one on top is only there as its box has sustained a little water damage - I'll make sure i move it and store it properly.

It's actually nice to see some 70 years after dispatch of these books they are being welcomed into a new home and appreciated. Sounds like a Larkin poem!

Are they still in their plain white jackets, I wonder? There are 2 similarly boxed sets on ABE at the moment whose prices might make you feel even more pleased to have them!

There are 2 similarly boxed sets on ABE at the moment whose prices might make you feel even more pleased to have them!

Ooh er! :wacko:

Mind you, I see even the 1980's reprints that I have are going at £30 or so a volume.

Are they still in their plain white jackets, I wonder? There are 2 similarly boxed sets on ABE at the moment whose prices might make you feel even more pleased to have them!

One of these I thinks is the boxed set from the last discussion about boxed sets. Offer price.....