The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Did he go to War?

Guest cybergranny

Guest cybergranny

Difficult to know where to put this question...especially as it may seem rather odd................but here goes.

When men joined the Army in WW1 did they have to prove their identity?

We were told that "Grandfather was in WW1" but I cannot find any record of him.

He was born George James Millen, but in 1909 (aged 34) he was calling himself George James Watson when he "ran away" with a married lady and had three sons!? (all registered as Watson) the last one being born in Mar 1914. She returned to her husband and in 1918 he married as G J Millen. Very confusing.

Do you think that at 39 he would have been unlikely to join up in 1914?

I have downloaded a medal roll for G J Watson, but it does not tell me much that I can understand!!

Any pointers...please

Regards Cybrgran

cybergranny, it is strangely much more difficult to trace service records of those who survived rather than those who died for whom the CWGC has an extensive record base. This is partly due to the service records having been mostly destroyed in a WW2 air raid. The surving portions ( The Burnt Documents or Record I believe are available at the National Archive.

Many did falsify their ages in the first enthusiasm of voluntary enlistment in 1914 and early 1915. Provided he did not look too old and was physically fit a fairly blind eye would have been turned.

The monuments to the Missing,- Menin Gate Thiepval etc show many names with their true surname and then "served as whatever" carved along or below so it was a fairly common practice. Perhaps many didnt want parents family, the law, employers whatever to know where they were? So the story of serving under another name sounds very probable.

Post your details from the medal card on here, perhaps in the Soldiers section and Im sure youll get lots of helpful responses.

Cybergranny

If you haven't already done so you may find the 1901 Census gives some clues - if you know where Grandad was living at that time! It's a good source for other family members and, who knows, you may end up with a family tree with some very interesting branches!

That might lead you to look at the 'Service List' attached to Electoral Rolls for WW1 period. Those lists are appendices to the main roll giving the names of servicemen who were away from home when the roll was compiled.

Good luck!

Guest cybergranny

Thank you Chris.

My Grandfather was living in a Caravan in Wales at the time of the 1901 census.

He gives his occupation a a Professional Illusionist and lives with his wife a Professional Tattooed Lady and their small daughter.

He has continued to elude us ever since!!!??

Regards.....Cybergranny