The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New Book 'World War One and Scottish Football'

Guest WW1scottishfootballers

Guest WW1scottishfootballers

Hi All,

Having recently self published the above mentioned book could I take this opportunity in giving you some information on the book. 'World War One and Scottish Football' has been a long time in the making! I began working on the book in the year 2000 and was working on it until last year. The book looks at the difficult times for Scottish football clubs during the conflict and takes you through the happenings in Scottish football during the 5 wartime seasons. For each season there is a two page written review followed by the complete records of each club with the line ups, goalscorers etc. Short player biographies are included for those that died in the conflict and the book finishes with a touching poem written about the Heart of Midlothian players that enlisted en masse in 1914 into McCrae's Battalion. Lots of unusual events happened in Scottish football during the WW1 years. Due to fixture congestion some clubs had to play two games in one day ... Long before Eric Cantona's famous karate kick on the Crystal Palace fan you can read about the St Mirren player who chased a fan through the terracing! The book runs to 120 A4 pages and costs just £10 plus £2 postage. It can be ordered directly from me at Alan Brown, 5 Birklands Wynd, Whitehirst Grange, Kilwinning, KA13 6NP. Alternatively payment by PayPal and bank transfer is acceptable. Email contact details and further details of the book are available on my blog at www.scottishfootballhistory.wordpress.com.

Thanks for reading.

Alan Brown