The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

I know nothing about this chap

Matt Dixon

Bit of a mystery here:

Ivor Williams from Llanelli, served in the SWB, don't believe he was an officer, definately served on the Somme, survived the war. Think he was a volunteer, and was MID'd some time between 1916 and 1918 for shooting down a German aircraft with a Lewis gun.

Can anyone shed any light on this chap?

Hi Matt,

Found this on Google: even has a photo of him.

"The Rising Sun shown above was obtained by Cpl. Ivor Williams when he was temporarily attached (while recovering from wounds) on the Military Staff stationed in London 1917. It is made up of two different pieces of metal, the main badge is normal brass with the scroll in a silver metal and clipped on. The 'Sun' is cut away and provision is made to enable a piece of coloured material can be placed in the 'sun' area.

Ivor Alexander Williams was born in Ballarat Victoria in 1897. He had a difficult childhood and was bought up by the Gadd family in Melbourne until he enlisted in the first A.I.F. (Australian Imperial Forces) at 18 years of age.

More details of his life can be seen at his Autobiography written just before he died in 1975. The second half of which had to be completed by his family after his death.

He served in the 21st Battalion, 2nd Division as a signalman, was torpedoed on the 'Southland' on the 2nd September 1915 and then took part in many of the battles at Gallipoli and France in World War One (1914-1918).

He survived Gallipoli with out a scratch but was wounded several times in France and was sent back to England where they patched him up and sent him back again and again.

http://www.nashos.org.au/myhero.htm

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for the reply, I don't think we are talking about the same Ivor Williams. I have amended my posting, the Ivor Williams I am looking for came from Llanelli in South Wales. Regardless thanks for taking the time.

Kind regards

Sorry mate. :(

Nevermind, now we know something about this other Ivor <_<

Robbie

Robbie,

Very true! As I said before, thanks anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robin King

I think I may be able to help with the Ivor Williams question.

My father (C Robertson King 1895-1976 served 1914-1919 Sherwood Foresters 1914-1916 Durham Light Infantry 1917-1919) became Chairman of East Midlands Electricity Board in 1947 and Chairman of Electricity Council in 1960. One of his colleagues was Ivor Williams, Chairman of Wales and West Electricity Board at the same time.

I met Ivor on a few occasions: tall, blue eyes, florid complexion, life and soul of the party and very fond of reciting the Green Eyed God - particularly the parody version when in his cups - at functions such as The Electrical Industries Benevolent Association Dinner at the Connaught Rooms.

He and my father had several conversations to my knowledge about various aspects of the Great War - but I didn't listen!! And remember nothing.

The only other thing that I remember is that Ivor also had close connections with the GEC and may also have worked for them for a time, and that he was a huge rugby fan and possibly a player.

Robin