The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Quick and the Dead by Richard Van Emden

Nagal11

Would really recommend the book as it brings home the suffering of the individuals and their families in a very personal way. Very emotional to read. It has many stories from families about their loved ones at the front and many letters written home, often with a sense of forboding. Many of the letter writers die at the Front. I have found it hard to read at times because it is so sad and yet it conveys so clearly the sacrifice made by so many that it is a book to be read. It's one thing to read in general about a military campaign, and quite another to read the letters of the men involved.

Also talks about the stress of those left behind and describes vividly the arriving envelopes with the postman and the fear of a knock on the door when the postman is on his rounds.It really resonates how a whole generation of men were lost.

Heather

A very nice chap. Signed my copy when I attended a talk on the book.

If you mean his talk to the South Wales Branch, I was there that night as well .... and it was a good talk, wasn't it?

I've read a number of his books, includiung this one, and I've got his "Boy Soldiers" to read as well.

Boy soldiers is a cracking read. Ironically I had the first ticket out tonight, "Last fighting Tommy" the book as my prize.