The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gerries or Jerries? Bosch or Boche?

catfishmo

'Bosche' with an 'e' ... either 'the Bosche' or 'the Bosches' ... certainly seems to be the most common form of the French 'Boche' or 'Boches' in English-language usage. As I said earlier, I have also seen 'die Boschen' in a report summarising (in German translation) remarks made by a French prisoner.

I don't have the company history to hand, but the UK branch of the Bosch company separated from the German parent at some stage (perhaps expropriated) and the name would certainly have been well known before and during the war to anyone involved with electrical equipment, auto-electrics, magnetos, dynamos and the like.

That site is behind a paywall, Mike.

Aye, sorry. When I get a chance later, I will transcribe it. It's an article with comments made by leading German Industialists etc, and there take on the Allies plans for Germany.

Mike

Actually, I think I have that wrong. The words I attributed to Bosch are actually those of Herr Max von Schmickel, director of the Nord-deutsche Bank, Hamburg. I will transcribe those of him, and Bosch later. Wallpaper stripping now. Oh the joys.

Mike

Not really relevant to thread, but said I would post. If you feel it deserves another thread, let me know.

War and Peace

Germans and Responsibility for the Conflict-Business Men's Comments on the Outlook

The following statement, isued through the wireless stations of the German Government, is of importance as showing the atitude of influential German civilians in regard to responsibility for the war and the prospective terms of peace. It consists of extracts from interviews which Mr William Borsodi, publisher of the Americanische Korrespondenz has had with leaders of finance and industry, as telegraphed by him to the " New York Times "..........

Herr Max von Schinckel, director of the Nord-deutsche Bank, Hamburg " It is an absolutely false idea to make the Kaiser responsible for the outbreak of the war. The Kaiser was always bent upon developing world commerce and traffic, and if only for this reason, was an ardent devotee of peace. Germany was forced to adopt a stronger armament simply through the encircling policy of King Edward. The war was fomented through the revanche agitation of France, caused by the aggressive policy of Russia, and precipitated against the will of the Kaiser. Germany, in her terrible position, was forced to defend herself by every possible means. It would be a monstrous injustice if the Entente should attempt to burden Germany with the costs of the war. In view of her own vast war debt, Germany could maintain her payments only if she be immediately given free room in which to work. The blockade, unemployment, and hunger would signify the complete economic breakdown of the country. An occupation by enemy troops would then mean the complete destruction of Germany. But this would prove a barren measure, destroying the last resources of the land, which would then be utterly exhausted. Should terms of peace as monstrous as those the so called armistice be imposed upon Germany, should a short-sighted and vengeful policy attempt to convert the free people of the German democracy into wage slaves of the Entente, then the very basis of peace in Europe will be built upon a swamp of hatred, tyranny, and oppression, and a permanent peace will be a thing for fiends to mock at. "

Dr Robert Bosch, the well-known manufacturer of magnetos and other motor appliances.

" The task which awaits President Wilson places upon him a responsibility such as has never before been borne by any other human being. To act as mediator, on the battlefield, so to speak, in the very face of the devastation of a four-years war, waged by a people under the pressure of a hunger blockade, makes a tremendous demand upon the objectivity and the powers of judgement of the President. One might well ask oneself if it is really possible for any human being to attain to a really unprejudiced and impartial judgement whilst under the immediate and ??? impression of events. May God sustain the President in reaching a judgement which will ??? be able to stand the judgement of posterity. "

Mike

British Newspaper Archive-Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Tuesday 22 September 1914

The "Allbosches"

" It is strange how specific words are coined in wartime. When I lived in France, " says a Times correspondent " and we desired to speak sarcastically, or maybe disrespectfully, of our neighbours over the eastern frontier we said 'Allebosche' the term being a combination of "Allemand" (German) and "bosche" a French slang word presumably derived from German and signifying pretty much the same as our own word bosh. Now "Allbosche" has been shortened and at the same time made more mordant, and "bosche" is on the lips of every man, woman, and child in the country. "

Mike

"bosche" a French slang word presumably derived from German and signifying pretty much the same as our own word bosh. Now "Allbosche" has been shortened and at the same time made more mordant, and "bosche" is on the lips of every man, woman, and child in the country. "

This appears to confirm my previously advanced supposition that the spelling "bosche" arose from a misunderstanding of the French slang "boche".

The sign of a Scotsman who is moving house.

Ha ha, nope.Just the wife cracking the whip.

Mike

This appears to confirm my previously advanced supposition that the spelling "bosche" arose from a misunderstanding of the French slang "boche".

It does rather.

Mike

If you think about pronunciation in the different languages, the French word "boche" would be pronounced by a German with the ch sound of the Scottish "loch", plus a second syllable "er" for the e.

To create the same sound as the French word, a German would have to spell the word as "boSch".

Angela