The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Black and Tans

Ferguson73uk

Those of you who have read my previous posts will know that I've been researching the war service of my Great Uncle: a Royal Marine from 1914-17 inc. Gallipoli, a 2/Lt on the Western Front in 1918. He was demobbed in June 1919. I've just heard a family story that he joined the Black and Tans. How can I find out from any records if this was true? I appreciate it's stretching the WW1 theme a bit but it's a frustrating footnote to what I thought was a completed story.

Any help gratefully accepted!

Jonathan

Hi,

There is a good article on the Black & Tans in the latest issue of the magazine History Ireland, Vol 12 No. 3 (Autumn 2004).

The article is by W. J. Lowe. In it he quotes as his main source the British PRO files HO 184. These are ledgers containing details on Irish police recruits from 1816 to 1922.

They contain personal details such as birthplace, age, religion, maritial status. They also in some cases give area in Ireland posted to and discharge reason. So there should be enough information for you to identify your relative.

The article notes that records for 'Black & Tan' RIC recruits in 1919-1922 are not as good as for the pre-War of Independence period, but it also says that the ledgers all recruits and that the RIC were good record keepers, so if your ancestor was in the 'Tans he should be listed.

The Black and Tans is loosely used to cover two types of member. Firstly the Black and Tans proper who were ex army recruits to the regular force and the Auxiliary Division which was mainly made up of ex officers given the RIC officer Cadet rank. The latter were recorded in the Auxiliary Division Register of the RIC rather than the records of the regular RIC. It gves name previous service /regiment medals etc.

Jim Herlihy's Short History of the RIC Four Courts Dublin is very useful as well.

Regards

Greg